Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up VM for second line

I have a setup where each IP phone has two lines. I have configured the CFB on the First line(primary) to ring the second line. The CFNA is configured to ring the Voice mail pilot. On the second line(secondary), I've configured CFB and CFNA to ring the VM Pilot. When I ring the primary and if nobody answers the phone, I can get to the user's voicemail on Unity and hear his greeting. But when I dial the second extension and it rolls over to VM, I hear the Unity default greeting "Hello Unity messaging, from a touch tone ......". I do not get to user's VM greeting. Also on the Unity Subscriber page, I have listed the primary extension on the extension option. If I change this to the secondary extension, then I see the same problem when I dial the the primary extension. What do I need to configure so that I hear the subscriber's greeting when I dial the primary as well as secondary extension.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Setting up VM for second line

sounds like you need to enter an alterante extension for that subscriber - each subscriber can have up to 10 extensions assigned to them in Unity - so go back to your primary extension as you had to begin with and add the 2nd line's ID to the list of alternate extensions for that subscriber and it should do what you want. Unity will do the same searches on forwarded and direct calls against alternate as for the primary (i.e. you can forward from the alternate extension and get the greeting and dial in from the alternate extension and get your inbox).

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

sounds like you need to enter an alterante extension for that subscriber - each subscriber can have up to 10 extensions assigned to them in Unity - so go back to your primary extension as you had to begin with and add the 2nd line's ID to the list of alternate extensions for that subscriber and it should do what you want. Unity will do the same searches on forwarded and direct calls against alternate as for the primary (i.e. you can forward from the alternate extension and get the greeting and dial in from the alternate extension and get your inbox).

After adding the second line number to the alternate extensions on the Unity Subscriber page, the problem was resolved. Thank you.

The way we do this is by using the same phone number on the 1st and 2nd lines. As long as they are in separate partitions, this is valid. All incoming calls are directed to the primary line. CFB on primary is set to 2nd line and CFNA on primary is set to Unity. CFB on secondary line is set to Unity and CFNA on secondary line is set to Unity. Because is same number on both lines, Unity recognizes mailbox w/out setting alternate extension.

Views
Helpful
Replies