Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Setup 3.0 questions

I have an interesting scenario. I have 2 Unity's going onto the same network. One is UM one is VM. Both on CallManagers. Running Exchange 2000 for the site. The site has 2 separate customers (one unity for each) but these customers are sharing the same Win2k AD forest. <br><br>Heres the question. When we installed the first Unity (UM) everything went fine.<br><br>Now we want to add the 2nd unity. we want to be able to network these two boxes. Where in the forest should we install the 2nd Unity. When we tried adding the 2nd Unity in the same tree as the first. We found that there was no Enterprise admins group and the AD scheme update failed.<br><br>Next we tried to create a new tree. Upon loading exchange 2000 it coughs up an error stating it can't find the master schema. Help! <br><br>Where do we put the 2nd unity in the forest?<br><br>

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Setup 3.0 questions

They can be installed in the same domain, a sub-domain, a peer-domain, another tree, you name it. If they are installing both in the same forest you only need to run the AD schema extensions once. In AD the schema is share throughout the entire forest. Do you have DDNS configure correctly for AD? i.e. Not just pointing at the ISPs DNS servers. Sound to me like you might not.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Well we tested the DNS stuff and found that while the 2nd Unity server can ping out to every server via name, some servers cannot ping the 2nd Unity server by name. An examination of the event log reveals that there is a replication issue. I assume that is what is causing our problem.

Also, if I put the 2nd unity on a new tree. I assume I do not run forestprep, but I do have to run domainprep. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Gold

You don't need to run /forestprep for sure. I will defer to the pros at Microsoft on /domainprep:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/exchange/maintain/featusability/preputil.asp

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies