Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

setup config for a small office voip solution?

I am looking for a good resource to use to set up a small office with VOIP and a Call Manager. The office is already using VOIP directly through voice ports on the router. We are in a temp. office until our corporate headquarters is built in about 9 months. The phone system we have came with the office and is about 10 years old. I want to use the office to show what a Voip system can do. I am looking for something(not the 700 page manual that cisco has) that is concise, and easy to understand, and also includes the eqipment I'll need for a small office. Thanks for any help.

JPoulos

CCNP, MCSE

4 REPLIES

Re: setup config for a small office voip solution?

I understand what you are asking for, and maybe Cisco can shed some more light on this. But here is my two cents worth.

Unfortunately, you can't really "put your toe in the water" with Cisco's solutions. They built their systems to compete with large PBX vendors. So the end result is A VERY COMPLEX TECHNOLOGY that scales to large networks. Therefore, no matter if it is a small or large office the basis of the technology remains the same (the 700 page manual still applies).

Now I personally want to note that it is VERY unfortunate that Cisco does not have a cost effective solution for extending IP telephony services for small remote offices(20 people or so). They are getting closer with providing reliability without full blow CallManager systems by using SRST. BUT!!!! Still to this day, there is no failover for Unity Voicemail with SRST. Our problem is that you can't setup a Centralized call processing VoIP network with distributed Unity Voicemail systems and provide backup for both. Even thought the Unity System is located within the Small Office SRST doesn't support Forward No Answer to voicemail. This forces you to but the often expensive Call Manager system for an office to receive 100% uptime on voicemail.

Anyways, this message is 10% related to what you were talking about and 90% my own personal complaint with setting up Small Office VoIP. Let me know if you have detailed technical questions.

Leonard Thompson

I have the perfect solution for you, Cisco IOS Telephony Service 2.0. I'm testing it in my office and it works great. I have a 2651 running IOS 12.2(2)XT with telephony services and also acting as the Gateway with an E1 PRI interface. This configuration supports up to 24 IP Phones, and you don't need a CallManager.

You can find simple instructions to get it up and running at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/ip_ph/ip_ks/ipkey2.htm

This looks perfect, but I'm a little confused about the hardware needed. I have a 3640, and we are only using 2 of 4 slots. I understand you have to buy the ip phones, but what else do you need. The documentation doesn't mention anything else. Is the whole setup configured on the router? Let me know. Thanks.

Jpoulos

CCNP, MCSE

Your 3640 will work fine. I'm assuming you have some NM-2V FXO POTS ports, or some other way to connect to the telephone network. If not you should get an appropriate voice module so that VoIP users can make commercial calls.

You will need the ITS 2.0.1 software which requires a CCO login:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-key

Then you need some second generation IP phones (7910,7940, or 7960). Follow the directions and it's a snap.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content