Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Shared line activity confusion - CCM 4.1(2)sr1 / 7960 / 7914

I am currently working on a CCM 4.1(2)sr1 / 7960 / 7914 phone configuration change to cut the lines per users from 2 to 1 and use the max call / call busy trigger to allow multiple calls to that 1 line ? these lines will be shared between manager/assistant pairs. Although this configuration is fine on 1 phone, when lines are shared between the manager/assistant pair the issues begin:

When a manager picks up an incoming call on their 7960 phone, the corresponding line on the assistants 7914 displays a red light?so far so good. The trouble starts when a second call comes in on the mangers line as the light will flash orange then, if the assistant picks it up, it will be solid green. It is at this point the issue occurs as the assistant can no longer see the status of the manager?s phone (is there another call in progess?).

Has anyone been involved with installations that have the same issues and if so how has it been resolved?

Thanks for your help

2 REPLIES

Re: Shared line activity confusion - CCM 4.1(2)sr1 / 7960 / 7914

Yup... that is how it works.. even if you have a 7961 with the color lights... it does not give them an idea if it's the second line and the manager is on the first line.

What i did to fix this:

I had the managers phone ring 3 times at his phone, then foward to a second number for 2 rings. then to voicemail

On the admin's phone, she had both numbers on her 7914 so she could tell if she should pick up the second or not.

Hopefully they can come up with a creative way in the future to fix this. Kind of a pain to configure it this way. But it works.

On managers number, uncheck voicemail boxes and put in the second line number

Change the ring duration seconds to like 9 or 10. (play with it)

then put in your coverage number.

now add this to the second button the managers button (line) and create the seconds to like 6 for 2 rings.

Check the boxes to voicemail then.

In Unity, add the second number it's rolling to for voicemail as an "alternate number". Then calls rolling into Unity from the second line, will go to his/her mailbox.

Create a shared line on the admin's phone and label so he/she knows it's the second line on the bosses phone.

hope this helps.

Re: Shared line activity confusion - CCM 4.1(2)sr1 / 7960 / 7914

This is how we do it now and it does work but I know certain features (like join) do not work when calls are spread over 2 lines. It also concerns me that new features (like some of the new presence capabilities in CMM 5.0) coming down the line will also be unavailable to us using this config.

Thanks for your help and confirming to me that I was not going crazy and this really is an issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content