Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared line/Transfer error

CCM 4.2; Shared line

A receptionist has told me there are times when handling a call on a shared line, and in process of transferring the call that a second call rings to the line and causes an error message "number is not valid" (or something to that affect)and to "please try again later". At that point the receptionist presses "end call" to disconnect from tranfer mode and she is able to reconnect with the call being transferred. The second call was answered and handled, but the first one wasn't able to be transferred due to ??

I'm told by the other receptionists this has also happened to them.

This shared line is an emergency line, and needs to work smoothly. It's set for maximum of 5 calls, with a busy trigger of 2.

Any thoughts on how to prevent the error message from occuring, and tranfer to be allowed to complete when new call is ringing through?

Thank you, Nat

13 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Shared line/Transfer error

Hi Nat,

We are thinking of going to CCM 4.2, so I was reading up on associated bugs and noticed alot of Transfer related bugs. Can you please let us know your exact version so I can cross reference. One of the bugs sounded very close to what you are describing.

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

The exact version is: Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2

It doesn't have any other numbers after the 4.2

If there's more to it than that, I'm not sure how to know.

Nat

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Nat,

Here is how to determine the exact version/build of Callmanager that you are running;

Go to

Cisco CallManager Administration Main Page (ccmadmin/main.asp)

Select - Details

You will see the following info;

Cisco CallManager System Version

Cisco CallManager Administration Version

Cisco CallManager Installation ID

Now, here is the bug that I saw (but its not exact)

CSCsb26550 Bug Details

First Found-in Version 4.2(0.30)

Symptom : Phone-A : 2006, Phone-B : 2004, Phone-C : 2005, Phone-D : 2008. Phones A, B, C & D are 7960. All the Phones are registered to the Publsiher. Make Call from Phone-A to Phone-B, answer it on Phone-B. Phone-B blind transfers the call to Pho

ne-C. Do not answer on Phone-C. Now from Phone-D call Phone-A. On Phone-A press answer softkey to answer the 2nd call. Phone-D plays an error tone, the call can not be answered.

Conditions: A blind transfer & new call to the first phone.

Workaround: None

First Fixed-in Version 4.2(0.786)

Have you tried to duplicate this behaviour in the lab? Does this happen everytime a second call comes in during the first Call Transfer? Maybe you could try tweaking the Max calls/Busy trigger.

Let us know, I'm sure we can figure this out.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob - thanks for the instructions of how to determine exact version of Call Manager. That was sure easy, once I knew how!

We have:

CCM System Version: 4.2(1)sr1

CCM Administration Version: 4.1(0.11)

CCM Installation ID: : 4.2(1)sr1

We don't have a lab set up, but when on site I was able to recreate the problem, by reenacting the same scenario. Other receptionists stated have experienced the same problem - but I don't know if it's every time. I had thought the max/busy, on the shared line, was set to 5/2... but when I double checked (to change it) I found it was set at 6/3. Am I right in thinking that would allow a max of 3 incoming calls - and for each of those 3 calls on the shared line -each could be transferred? Wouldn't 3 calls in tranfer mode total the 6 max?

I'm in the lower ranks of learning here (networking stuff is new to me), and I so appreciate all the help you and others are willing and able to share.

The bug you posted may not apply to our version, but I'll pass it on to my manager, in case it does.

Nat

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Nat,

No worries! I'm with you in the lower ranks of learning this stuff (old voice guy!!). I'm sorry I have more questions than answers here;

1. How may phones is the shared line on (my bad if you already mentioned this)?

2. If this shared line is on more than one phone, did you check the max calls/busy trigger for each of the separate appearances. Perhaps it is set at 5/2 on one phone and 6/3 on another. It should be the same on all phones.

3. When you were on site and could duplicate the problem did it happen every time (10 for 10)?

4. I agree with your vision of the max calls/busy trigger scenario in the 6/3 model. Could you try changing to 6/4 just to prove that this not the root of the problem.

5.Are the receptionists using "on hook transfer"?

Sorry for all the questions, but not being able to set this up in our lab (no 4.2(1)etc) makes it hard to prove or disprove any theory.

Take care!

Rob

Hi there Rob -

I appreciate the questions - here's the answers.

1. How may phones is the shared line on (my bad if you already mentioned this)?

Ans: the shared line appears on 6 phones

2. If this shared line is on more than one phone, did you check the max calls/busy trigger for each of the separate appearances. Perhaps it is set at 5/2 on one phone and 6/3 on another. It should be the same on all phones.

Ans: I have checked all line appearances, all are set to 6/3.

3. When you were on site and could duplicate the problem did it happen every time (10 for 10)?

Ans: It was hard to manage test calls in the midst of business calls. Only tested one time to see what they were reporting.

4. I agree with your vision of the max calls/busy trigger scenario in the 6/3 model. Could you try changing to 6/4 just to prove that this not the root of the problem.

Ans: Yes, I will change to 6/4, and ask the users to let me know if they have anymore trouble with the transfer error.

5.Are the receptionists using "on hook transfer"?

Ans: I should know what "on hook transfer" means, but am not sure. What they do is this... with call connected they press the transfer soft key, dial the extension being transferred to, and press the transfer softkey again to complete. In this case, they are not able to press the second transfer to complete the process. It's after dialing the extension line that they get the error of "not a valid number, please try again later".

Sorry for all the questions, but not being able to set this up in our lab (no 4.2(1)etc) makes it hard to prove or disprove any theory.

Response: Not a problem - I appreciate your interest and help. I'm on my way home for the day, but will be back at it again tomorrow.

Thanks, Nat

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Nat,

Good stuff! Here is some info for "On Hook" transfer;

Onhook Call Transfer

Modifications to the Call Transfer feature add the onhook (hangup) action as a possible last step to complete a call transfer. The Transfer On-hook Enabled service parameter, which enables onhook call transfer, must be set to True for onhook call transfer to succeed. If the service parameter is set to False, the onhook action ends the secondary call to the third party.

In the existing implementation, if user B has an active call on a particular line (from user A) and user B has not reached the maximum number of calls on this line, the Cisco IP Phone provides a Transfer softkey to user B. If user B presses the Transfer softkey (or Transfer button, if available) once, user B receives dial tone and can make a secondary call: user B dials the number of a third party (user C). Cisco CallManager provides a Transfer softkey to user B again. If user B presses the Transfer softkey again (or Transfer button, if available), the transfer operation completes.

With the new onhook call transfer implementation, user B can hang up after dialing user C's number, and the transfer completes. Both the existing and new implementations work in both the case of a blind transfer (user B disconnects before user C answers) and also in the case of a consult transfer (user B waits for user C to answer and announces the call from user A).

The previous implementation remains unchanged: user B can press the Transfer softkey twice to complete the transfer

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008055cd66.html#wp1088627

When you say "It's after dialing the extension line that they get the error of "not a valid number, please try again later"." Is this a visual message on the display (Probably) or an audible message?

Let me know

Rob

Rob,

I am excited to learn more about the onhook transfer enabled choice. Ours was set to disabled, but has been changed.

From what I read (and tested) both ways of transferring now work - the old way of pressing the transfer softkey twice, or the new way of pressing the transfer softkey to initiate the transfer and going onhook (hang up)to complete the transfer.

Nice, thank you!

Now I've spoken to the person who originally reported this problem and learn that part of the information I relayed early on about getting a "number is invalid - please try again" (audio) message - was not in relation to this particular problem.

On that day of visiting with the receptionists - we discussed about 6 different scenarios with problems, and .. well, anyway.. it turns out the audio error message is heard when trying to retreive a parked call from an empty park slot (already retrieved). That makes sense and I don't see it as a problem.

I've asked the person who reported the shared line/transfer problem to let me know if it occurs again. I've also told her if not offered the transfer softkey for completing a transfer - she can go onhook (hang up) to complete it.

In talking with her today, she recalls the problem to of been that while she was in transfer mode with call 1 on this shared line - the second call that was ringing in - "just stopped ringing" - makes me wonder if one of the other 6 phone (users of this shared line) answered the call!

I'm considering this case resolved, unless I hear any further reports of problems transferring calls on this shared line.

Thank you very much for your help along the way! I learned several very helpful things from you.

Nat

Well, continuing on - just got a call from one of the receptionist reporting "delays" and sometimes inabilities to transfer.

Guess both ways don't work. I've reset to onhook disabled.

Tried it here with a Cisco phone - transferring to a Rolm phone, and it worked, but apparently on-net transfers don't.

Nat

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Nat,

Well obviously not too much help so far :(

I am a little stumped on this one to say the least, but the good thing is we are starting to at least identify the exact problem (separating the wheat from the chaff)as they say.It is tough when you have multiple trouble reports from the same group of users, and they all start to blend together.

Maybe we need to re-think this one;

1.Does this only happen during really heavy call volume periods?

2.When you tweaked the max calls/busy trigger it went from 6/3 to 6/4 and that hasn't helped.Maybe we should try 8/4? I have never seen with my own eyes what the effect of this type of change is but it's worth a try.

3. Perhaps this problem has more to do with the phone firmware than CCM 4.2(1)? What firmware are you running?

4. I did a long search through related topics on all the forums, and came up with this one that sounds kind of similar;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Service%20Providers&topic=Voice%20over%20IP&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddb0b8f/8#selected_message

5. We always try to solve problems "in house" but if a problem persists (especially on an Emegency line application) a TAC case should be opened. I have been helped by some great Cisco people over the years.

6.Try re-posting a revamped (new info) question on the IP Telephony forum. There are some great NetPros there that may have not seen this thread.

Anyways, that is all I can think of now Nat,but I will keep an eye open to see if this can't be resolved.

Take care!

Rob

Rob.... and now for a little more chaff. I've called to ask the user who reported the problem some of your questions, and am now told the problem didn't occur on the Emergency line - she stated: she was transferring from an IPCC line, and heard half a ring for the transfer - at that point a new call rang to the shared ER line (different line on phone) and the ringing of her call in transfer stopped. The transfer line was silent but still connected. As another receptionist answered the ringing call on the shared line - the IPCC transfer call disconnected.

I have indeed learned some helpful things in this conversation, one of them being to get the story straight, before posting it on the board.

Thank you again, for all your time, effort and kindness.

I've asked the receptionists to keep me posted of any further problems having to do with the shared emergency line, and, any other phone problems.

The conversation you posted a link to was very interesting - never dawned on me that the softkeys could be delayed in appearing on the phone for use. I've printed that conversation and passed it on to my manager. I find it extra interesting, since we've been having some reports of delays when dialing to place outgoing calls.

I don't know how to answer what firmware we are running.

We do use our local vendor for assistance on problems we can't solve, and also open TAC cases, at times.

Thank you again for your time, interest, and help. Yes, you did help. It's hard to solve a problem when the story keeps changing.

Kind regards, Nat

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Nat,

Yes, its me again. Thanks for your kind words, it is always a pleasure dealing with nice people like you.You are not the only person who has times when it is hard to get to the bottom of a reported trouble. This is often just as hard as actually solving the problem itself. I always try to give the user the benifit of the doubt, but if possible try to replicate the issue.Don't forget that these users know how hard you are trying on their behalf, and they won't forget.Also when they see you working hard for them they take a little more interest in the acuracy of how they report things.So good job!

Two things;

First,to find out the phone firmware have a look on CCM for the Device defaults page.It lists the default firmware for all the phones/gateways etc. that you are running.

Second, I would never second guess your design, and I'm sure that you didn't come up with it, but I do find it a bit troubling that such an important number is working on the same phone as an IPCC Agent.I don't think that this would be a Cisco Best Practice. Have you ever thought of flowing this shared line DN into the IPCC Queue.It may be easier for these receptionists if they only had to worry about dealing with one application, but thats just my 2 cents worth.

Anyways,thanks again, and let us know how you make out.

Take care!

Rob

Rob,

First of all I appreciate your comments in regards to the set up of lines used on IPCC phones. I agree it would be better for Emergency lines to be handled by someone that's not distracted by other phone lines, especially IPCC. But, in our case, staffing doesn't allow for any better candidates than the receptionists who handle incoming calls to the various departments. Each department has main numbers with call handlers offering choices, the Emergency line is one of the options, and it has to ring somewhere. Having IPCC agents handling the ER line was per manager request. It's long been this way with our facilities, but on our old phones it worked well. The old phones & lines were easier to manage, since they just allowed for one call per line. Times are changing. We may need to rethink the way in which emergency lines are handled.

I went to the device defaults and could see lots of information. I'm guessing what you were interested in was for the particular phone style used by the IPCC agents. This is what I see:

Device type: 7960

Load information: P00308000100

Device pool: (correct site name)

Phone template: 7960 4-line

Thanks again,

Nat

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content