Sharing ISDN PRI for data/modems & DID on C3640

I have a scenario as follows.

A C3640 with

NM-1FX (slot0)

NM-2CE-1U (slot1)

NM-30DM (slot3)

NM-2CE port0 is connected to telco

NM-2CE port1 is connected to company PBX

The PRI currently answers both data & modem calls.

I want to share the PRI so DID calls coming into E1-port0 can be redirected out E1-port1 towards the PBX - Also I need to be able to dial out from PBX into E1-port1 and the calls shall be redirected out E1-port0 to the telco.

Is this possible and do I need additional hardware?

- I also have a C2821 which I could plug the NM-30DM into but assume I need at least 2 E1 WIC's additionally, perhaps PVDM too?

- I do not need to terminate/originate calls to/from voIP.

doing q.931 debug I can see calls coming from PBX but the router has no idea on how to route them, and I am clueless how to if at all possible.

Atthachment contains circuit scenario.

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Sharing ISDN PRI for data/modems & DID on C3640

I recognize your clarification, indeed I had missed you mentioning the 2821, still was no reason enough for a low rating.

Here the summary on your issue: it is not possible to process voice and modem calls with a single PRI interface (universal port) on either the 3640 or the ISR router. For that, only the AS5xxx are able to.

Consequently, on the router you will need a two-port VWIC or VWIC2 card; you will configure so certain DIDs are processed locally as voice or digital data calls, others are re-routed out the second port. There, you will cross-connect your data/modem box, be that a 2nd card in the same router, or on a separate one.

10 REPLIES

I think there's a disconnect in the logic here.

None of the cards you have listed are voice capable. This means there does not exist a possibility of redirecting voice calls in our out of the existing cards.

To interface with the PBX you would need a VWIC card and PVDM's. Note that the V in VWIC stands for voice. If there's no V, there's no voice. WICs = no voice.

-nick

I figured that might be a possibility, that some voice capability was needed but since this is TDM<->TDM (No VoIP) I was wondering if that was neccesary.

Well - if it is, I need to know what/which modules is needed additionally on this platform to complete the picture. If not possible, what would be needed involving a C2821 box then?

As long as the incoming and outgoing cards are both voice capable, you should be able to do this.

To get technical - by default local bypass is on for the DSPs and DSPs are not invoked for POTS-POTS connections. You'll still need them to set up the channels though.

hth,

nick

According to the above scenario (C3640), should I implement this with...

a) VWIC-2MFT-E1-DI in NM-1FE2W

or

b) NM-HDV + PVDM2 in slot2

And...

Will a PVDM2-16 provide 16 simultaneous channels from telco over to the PBX or only 8 (8 in at port0 - 8 out at port1) ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi, I recommend you implement modem/data and voice on differetn routers. Whil it is possible to do on a single one, it becomes a cumbersome configuration due to the use of cross cable from one card to anohter, and can be instable expecially on an old latform like the 3640.

Did not answer my questions. The reason for this is to be able to share the PRI between data/modem and voice. If it was more than one PRI, situation would be different. The C3640 works fine, also I have 2821 that could be used for this if needed.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hello, your rating of "1" to a 100% correct answer is frankly undue, first change your attitude toward professionals giving free advice on this forum, or hunt you way out the problem by yourself.

No offense meant Paolo, but I already stated I had 2821 for the scenario, just wanted opinion on if my trusty 3640 which has been working reliably for years could muster voice too. Your reply apparently voiced that you had not read the whole thread. Opinion, it was. Keep up the good work.

Paolo,

Sorry about that. I re-rated your post to compensate.

You have been working hard here. keep doing,Bro (grin).

Toshi

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I recognize your clarification, indeed I had missed you mentioning the 2821, still was no reason enough for a low rating.

Here the summary on your issue: it is not possible to process voice and modem calls with a single PRI interface (universal port) on either the 3640 or the ISR router. For that, only the AS5xxx are able to.

Consequently, on the router you will need a two-port VWIC or VWIC2 card; you will configure so certain DIDs are processed locally as voice or digital data calls, others are re-routed out the second port. There, you will cross-connect your data/modem box, be that a 2nd card in the same router, or on a separate one.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content