Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Shedule trouble with DiRT-Backup

Hi all,

we have some trouble with DiRT-Backup. We use the newest version with two-pass backup (first locally and then to mapped network drive).

When I start the backup with "backup now" everything works like a charm, but when I shedule the task, nothing happens.

Yes, I checked it twice, the task is "enabled". It doesn't matter, wheather I tried it on local disc or on network drive.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Axel

p.s. I use Terminalservices for administration.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Shedule trouble with DiRT-Backup

What account did you associate with the scheduled run of DiRT? The same one you were logged in with when you did your test? There should also be entries in the application event log when DiRT fires up - also, be sure you haven't disabled your scheduling service - we rely on Window's to launch the application when the scheduled time comes around, I've seen a few sites get bit by that one since some "security hardening" apps will disable it out of hand.

Hi Jeff,

yes I am using the same account for log in via WTS and for scheduled backup. I had look into the services and the task scheduler is up and running.

To be sure I restarted this service. There are no entries in the eventlog and we are not using any "hardening" apps.

Axel

Cisco Employee

Well, the very first thing DiRT backup does when it's run in silent mode (i.e. when it's launched from a command line like the scheduler does) is write to the application event log that a backup has started. If nothing is there then the scheduler isn't launching it. Either your scheduling service is disabled or something is preventing it from doing its job - I don't know what it is but there's nothing I can do about it on my end of the fence... DiRT backup works just fine launched from the scheduler and has for a couple years now. Not sure what else to suggest to you here.

Cisco Employee

Also, if you go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks and look, it might give you more information (e.g. something like "Could not start" typically indicates that the password isn't right and such). You can also try stopping and starting the Task manager. There have been some issues with this in older windows service pack levels. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=272022

I had a look, but it says it ran today and will run tomorrow next time. Because we still have SP3 on this box, I will check SP4.

Bye

Axel

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content