cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Similar Paging over MGCP FXS Problem

abertram
Level 5
Level 5

As mentioned in the other post here is a problem we are experiencing with overhead paging.

The paging system our client is using is off of one of the vg200's FXS ports controlled by MGCP and what happens is that users dial the preconfigured 555 extension to access the paging system and everything works fine except when the user ends the page (ie hangs up the ip phone handset) the paging system then plays dial tone (generated by the FXS port) and the obviously timesout resulting in a reorder being played forever until someone pulls the power supply out of the wall for the unit.

Basically what I beleive is happening is that the paging system is not sensing the disconnect quick enough from the FXS port and therefore our end resets the port and the paging system still has the line seized and therefore receives dial tone >> reorder etc.

I was able to simulate things by plugging in a regular analogue phone and then ringing 555 picking up and then disconnecting the call from the IP Phone side and what happened was the line clicked and then I was fed dial-tone again.

Anyone had any luck with this setup out there? Would switching to an FXS off of our 3640 H.323 gateway make a difference?? MGCP is so nice to set up though.....

Since the paging system was not part of our proposal to this client we are not obligated, but definately if it is our end of things I am curious as to whether there is a fix for this or if its simply a limitation of the paging system manufacturers equipment.

Cheers

5 Replies 5

droessler
Level 1
Level 1

We had a similar problem - before the one I originally posted below. To solve this we put a Valcom V-9970 Single Zone One-Way Station Level Page Control device between the FXS port and the Paging system. Doing so removed the problem we were having, which was very very similar to the one you describe.

We never found a fix for the MGCP problem (out-pulsing digits when off hook) over the FXS. To correct this, we had to configure the FXS port for H323.

Hope this helps.

ksilva
Level 1
Level 1

We used an Bogen TAM-B between the MGCP interface and the Block.

Question on the TAM-B...what type of MGCP gateway did you use? VG200 or 6624-FXS? Thanks.

tonygauderman
Level 1
Level 1

I experience similar problems with MGCP and paging. The problem lies with the way the gateways provide disconnection supervision in MGCP mode. My solution was to put it on an H.323 gateway, which provided the appropriate disconnection supervision and the paging interface works flawlessly.

mallen
Level 1
Level 1

Changing out the paging units seems to have resolved our similar issue (the Melco units were replaced by Valcom). Never did find any settings for the FXS that made the original page units work.