Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Single-Port 30 Channel E1 Voice/Fax NM

What is the difference between NM-HDV-1E1-30 & NM-HDV-1E1-30E ?

Regards

Mohamed

6 REPLIES

Re: Single-Port 30 Channel E1 Voice/Fax NM

Hi Mohamed,

Is this blade going into a 3700 router?

Here's what I found as it pertains to the 3700 series

////NM-HDV-1E1-30////

High Density Voice Network Module, with 1 VWIC-1MFT-E1 and 3 PVDM-12

////NM-HDV-1E1-30E////

High Density Voice Network Module, with 1 VWIC-1MFT-E1 and 5 PVDM-12

Each PVDM-12 contains 3 DSPs

Runs up to 12 voice calls using a low complexity CODEC (G.711, G.729a/b, G.726, fax).

Runs up to 6 voice calls using a high complexity CODEC (G.729, G.728, G.723.1).

PVDM-12 fits into SIMM sockets on the NM-1HDV network module, five PVDM SIMM sockets on the NM-1HDV network module

Requires an IOS "Plus" feature set.

So basically, it's the difference between 9 or 15 DSPs, as I see it.

Hope that helps - thanks,

Erik.

The NM-HDV-1E1-30 has enough DSPs to support 30 channels of voice (i.e. 1 voice E1) using a low complexity codec. The NM-HDV-1E1-30E has enough DSPs to support 30 channels of voice using a high-complexity codec or 30 channels of voice using a low complexity codec AND transcoding/conferencing resources.

If you need to use a high-complexity codec and would like to use hardware based conferencing/transcoding, you will need to replace those PVDM-12s with PVDM-16 or -20s.

I would also add that the NM-HDV-1E1-30 with 3 PVDM-12s each capable of running 12 voice calls of low complexity, would also give the router additional transcoding/conferencing resources as well. Unless an entire PVDM-12 must be dedicated to either voice or transcoding/conferencing. Can you clarify?

Thank you.

The entire PVDM does not need to be dedicated, but I beleive each DSP must be dedicated for either voice encoding/decoding, transcoding, or conferencing. Ecoding/decoding 30 channels takes 8 DSPs (at 4 conversations per DSP). That leaves 1 DSP available for Transcoding or conferencing, so it would be possible to transcode 4 channels or create 1 conference bridge.

Where do I reserve the DSP for either one of these roles .. Is it done on the CallManager?

Thank you,

Erik.

Well, kinda both. The DSPs are dedicated for conferencing or trancoding in the IOS, but the CCM has to be told where the resources are.

You can find the command reference here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801a7f24.html

But basically this is what you need:

voice-card 1

dspfarm

dsp services dspfarm

*This enables the DSPFarm commands that specify tasks for the DSPs*

sccp local Serial0/0

sccp

sccp ccm 10.250.250.253 priority 1

sccp ccm 10.250.250.254 priority 2

*This specifies where the router should go to register itself, just like a phone*

dspfarm transcoder maximum sessions 12

dspfarm confbridge maximum sessions 3

You can also view DSPFarm info using the sh dspfarm all command.

Views
Helpful
Replies