Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Single server site

Hi there,<br><br>Is it a supported option to install Unity (UM version)and exchange on the same Cisco approved server? This would be for about 100 users. Would this even be a recommended solution?<br><br>many thanks<br><br>R.<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Single server site

Well, Exchange is always running on the Unity server, I assume what you're asking is if it's OK to home users there and have them attach their Outlook clients to it and all that good stuff.

This is the "kitchen sink" model where the one Unity server is providing both email and UM voice mail services in one package. Yes, you can do this with the proper hardware (i.e. think big and beefy) you can support up to 200 users in this configuration. Don't skimp on the hardware since we're acting as the domain controller (in most cases), web server, email server, voice mail server and all those outlook client connection have a substantial overhead to them. You cut corners and you'll be unhappy with the performance.

If they have an NT domain in place already, I definitely reccomend installing us as a member server... the domain controller roll is expensive and you have a major single point of failure with our box (i.e. the entire office is basically out of action if that one server goes down).

Personally I think this only makes sense in the very smallest of offices. Having Exchange mailboxes homed off the Unity server is definitely a better idea than piling everything onto one server, but if that's what it takes to get in the door, go for it.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content