Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Single site unity with 2 exchange sites! - setting up users

The main site is Boston we have installed the call managers and unity at this site. Unity has been integrated with the exchange server at this site called BOSTON_EX. The users at the Boston site were added to unity and this works well.

The remote site is a Rushden the have their own exchange server called RUSHDEN_EX, but will use the call manager and unity system across the WAN at Boston. The 2 exchange servers are in the same domain and pass mail between each other and all users at both sites appear in the address book, I believe using an X400 link each server is configured with it's own site.

The problem is that the users at Rushden don't appear on the list of users to import into unity, since it is connected to BOSTON_EX and the users at Rushden exist on RUSHDEN_EX. I know that I could create the Rushden users as internet subscribers in unity but that would reduce the integration between the IP phone and the Mail box. What is the best way round this?? Can the users be added to the BOSTON_EX server or could unity synchronise with both the BOSTON_EX and RUSHDEN_EX servers or is ther another way?

Customer uses exchange 5.5

I did find the information below? what is the best way round this? any Ideas?

Importing Cisco Unity Users from Exchange 5.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The information in this document is based on Cisco Unity for Exchange Unified Messaging.

Description

When trying to import users from existing Exchange Servers, only the users that reside in the site that Unity is installed in are offered to the Unity Import Utility.

Explanation

This is expected behavior. Importing users from an Exchange server that is not a member of the site the Unity is installed in is prohibited. Exchange servers connected through a site connector are not accessible because of the Unity architecture.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Single site unity with 2 exchange sites! - setting up users

A single Unity server cannot service subscribers across an Exchange site. Multiple servers within the site are fine, but once you have a site boundary you need two Unity servers. This has to do with limitations of the MAPI implementation by Microsoft (i.e. logging into mailboxes across a site is not accounted for).

You need at least one Unity server per Exchange site.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content