cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP lab

davidesmith68
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 x 2811 and 3 x 3560 for my lab. Also, I have 1 additional 2811 and 3560 that I use for my home to connect to my ISP. I am trying to practice SIP but I am not sure where to put the SIP configuration, on my home router or my lab router. I want to keep my home network separate from my lab network. Any suggestions?  Thank you again for your help

6 Replies 6

Murali Gunnam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Better to experiment your lab router as you are using home router to connect to ISP...

I attached my network. Based on the configuration CME SIP Configuration Guide, the basic configuration is 

Configure the SIP trunk
VOIP2801(config)# sip-ua
VOIP2801(config-sip-ua)# credentials username <SIP Username> password <SIP Password> realm sip-ua.com
VOIP2801(config-sip-ua)# registrar dns:proxy.sip-ua.com expires 60
VOIP2801(config-sip-ua)# authentication username <SIP Username> password <SIP Password>
VOIP2801(config-sip-ua)# sip-server dns:proxy.sip-ua.com

If I put this on my R3 of my diagram, how to I go out to the internet to the SIP provider? (see picture)

Hi David,

Were you ever able to figure this out? I'm having the same issue configuring my home voice lab with SIP trunk, using SIP-UA as a free SIP trunk. Just trying to figure out the connection and configuration through my home ISP router to allow SIP.

Right now I have it double NAT/PAT'd. Once on my ISP router and again on my cisco 2811 router. I'm able to get internet connection from my PC that is sitting on the lab network, just trying to get the SIP trunking to work.

Thanks,

Aaron

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would prefer a lab network with PSTN connectivity. It makes learning activity more fun to see things

running in live environment.

You might land up in scenarios where ITSP rejects your call or sends you 4XX, 5XX or 6XX SIP

message which when you research and make it working would really increase your knowledge.

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Without any doubt, you should be doing this in your lab network since I am sure you would not want to mess up with the connection going out to the real PSTN world. With the number of routers you have for lab, you can easily simulate PSTN either using SIP or through PRI as well provided you have the required T1/E1 cards on the routers.

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak
In a lab environment 
How would I configure one if my router as itsp? I have 2911 cube trying to connect to another router via sip I want to act as itsp.