cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP or Skinny?

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

would there be an advatage of one over the other? also i was reading on how to unlock the phone network config and i liked the idea of the password stuff in 4.2 or higher. how can i get a phone firmware for a 790 & 7940 that is 4.2? i have 3.2 and that came with the ITS 2.1 files i found a 5.2 but that is SIP does ITS do sip or skinny? and if i installed this file (P0S3-05-2-00) would i break my phone? thanks for clearin my questions.!!

4 Replies 4

apcgabe
Level 1
Level 1

change the option in dhcp to option 66, a sip phone expects it, else option 150 is used for call manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml#topic2

think that link will help.

what is the mayor advantage to use SIP over Skinny??

Skinny is a lightweight protocol for relaying stimulas between end devices and CM or a router setup/teardown cisco proprietary.

Have a look at some of the documentation on the web in regards to SIP.

And if your keen you can download SER from iptel.org

SIP Express Router (ser) connect some phone and messanger clients and have fiddle around.

Features: iptel.org's flagship: A high-performance, configurable SIP server. It can act as registrar, proxy or redirect server. It features an application-server interface, presence support, SMS gateway, SIMPLE2Jabber gateway, RADIUS/syslog accounting and authorization, server status monitoring, FCP security, etc.

##########################################################################################################

Taking advantage of its foundation in Internet protocols, SIP enhances the ability to create services that integrate telephony with Web-based services such as instant messaging and presence. Though SIP has its roots in Internet technology, it facilitates seamless interoperability with traditional telephony networks and helps packet-based networks achieve the scaling, reliability, and voice quality of the global switched telephone network.

The telecommunications industry has matured since SIP was introduced three years ago, and now the promise of SIP—a lightweight, Internet-friendly protocol that provides the ability to create converged services that integrate traditional voice-based services with Internet-based services—has become a reality. Major carriers in every geographical market have deployed SIP technology, proving that SIP is mature and world ready.

As part of Cisco's multiprotocol voice strategy, Cisco has developed a broad offering of SIP-enabled products and solutions. With the broadest portfolio of packet telephony products and solutions in the market today, Cisco enables service providers to cost-effectively take advantage of the strength of standards-based protocols to reliably scale networks and manage them effectively. The protocol flexibility inherent in Cisco solutions gives service providers the ability to offer a broader service portfolio, including traditional voice services and new services such as IP Centrex, unified messaging, hosted call center, and second-line residential services.

References

http://www.iptel.org/products/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a0080092947.shtml

yes, that is what i am asking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: