cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow voice mail delivery

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Unity UM 2.4.6.161 currently being used for voice mail only. Some subscribers are complaining that callers are leaving them messages, but that they don't get them until much later. That is, a caller calls the subscriber and on FB or FNA leaves a message; caller then calls back a short time later, reaches the person directly, and person finds out a message was left; person finishes call, then goes to check voice mail, but no message is there; then some time later, message shows up.

What they are describing is not so much a MWI red light on phone and/or message envelope flashing next to line button, but rather a delay in Unity taking received messages and putting them in the corresponding subscriber mailboxes. Callers leaving the messages can be internal (Cisco IP Phone users) or external (public at large).

Is this a Unity or Exchange issue on the UNITY server? Has anybody else encountered this before?

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is almost certainly an Exchange MTA issue... Unity 2.x hands the message off to Exchange right away, we don't store it locally and then deliver it later or anything of the kind. If the message is rejected by Exchange it's immediately routed to the "unaddressed messages" distribution list (in 3.x there's the UMR that can hold on to these messages in that scenario).

You need to troubleshoot this like you would an Exchange message delivery delay issue. Common problems are DNS issues (the MTA uses name resolution when sending messages between Exchange servers) and the like. Here's a good link to start on since it has links to numerous other articles on how to troubleshoot MTA issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q247133&

Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback. Will pursue this over the weekend.

-Larry

Jeff, we are running the same verison of Exchange and Unity. We have the same issue. I applied SP4 for Exchange 5.5. Still the same issue. Yesterday when one of our employees said they had a person test this by leaving a message and it didn't go through. I checked the MTA queue for the PRIV Store and there were no backed up messages. Any other thoughts on this?

Well, that message went somewhere... did it get delivered to the UnaddressedMessages distribution list?

csteinman
Level 1
Level 1

I am having reports of the same problem. Usually, the complaints are that the messages didn't show up until the next day, even though they checked for messages at the end of the day. Running 2.4.6.135 with call manager 3.1(3a) spF. Voice mail only.

The first place you'd want to look here with such reports is the subscriber message activity report for a user that reported such a thing - this gives you a clue at least to the time when Unity knows the message arrived in the user's inbox - if that doesn't happen till the next day you can back up your investigation to the Exchange MTA logs and see if the messages are backing up there for some reason.

Again, Unity doesn't have a secondary database we're using to store voice mail messages - they are handed directly to Exchange to deliver to the inbox. In 2.x particularly this is direct, no buffering. If the messages are taking a while to actually show up in the user's inbox, 99 times out of 100 it's the Exchange MTA sitting on them for periods of time (DNS issues, connectivity issue etc...) before shuttling it to the right mailstore.

I am also having the same issue, where messages are being delayed over 12 hours. I have also checked my MWI settings. I am running Unity 3.1 Build 3.1(5)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: