Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SMDI with PSTN Gateways

I am working with a client whose communications platform (media/application server) use Cisco AS5300 Gateways to interface to the PSTN Clas V switches. They offer voice mail and unified messaging solutions. My question is, does the gateway or any other Cisco product provide a method to receive and translate SMDI signals? or do we have to build our own SMDI interface outside of the Cisco box?

2 REPLIES

Re: SMDI with PSTN Gateways

Mr. Mun,

Please answer a few questions about your client. How is the VoIP phone service terminated on your client’s client side (For example, traditional PBX, Cisco IP phone, etc.)? If they are using a PBX what kind of ports interface to the PBX? What voice mail system are they using?

I have several comments on Cisco voice mail technologies. Call Manager interfaces directly to SMDI through CMI (Cisco Messaging Interface). This is the only Cisco product of which I am aware (and there may well be others) that interfaces to SMDI. In certain environments (usually where there is a tie to traditional PBX’s) you might want to use the DPA (Digital Phone Adapter), which emulates IP phones to Call Manager and permits a single-source voice mail interface to users of hybrid systems.

Bob Lyons

Cisco Employee

Re: SMDI with PSTN Gateways

If the voicemail / unified messaging solution is their own product that provides an SMDI interface to one or more customer PBXs, then you need to provide an asynchronous serial connection between their system and the customer's PBX. You should be able to do this using modems if the messaging server is coloated at the telco office and the PBX is located at customer premises.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content