cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Softphone audio when controlling a physical phone

Ken Snyder
Level 1
Level 1

I have Softphone configured to take control of a physical phone not a CTI port. When I take the phone off hook on the “Softphone”, the phone device will also go off hook producing dial tone from the physical phone but no audio on “softphone”. Is there a way and/or version of Softphone that will take control of a 7940 and still play the audio on the PC along with the phone? Any thoughts?

Regards,

-Ken

4 Replies 4

rchapee
Level 1
Level 1

I have played with softphone quite a bit. I have never ran across anything like that. If you are trying to allow someone to have the option of softphone or hardware with the same extension just create a CTI port with the same ext as the IP phone. Basically a shared line. They can answer either one.

*** www.iptnetworkers.com ***

Thanks for the input. A shared extension will cause both to ring but will not forward multicast streams to the CTI port that were destined to the physical device extension. The phone will broadcast the stream but the CTI port is not capable of receiving the multicast stream.

Regards,

-Ken

Ken,

What you are describing is shared line. At the moment the shared line facility only provides the audio to a single terminal, be that a soft or hard phone. I can't see this being something will be looking to develope either as it has a limited potential.

Also the voice straem is not a multicast or a broadcast it is a unicast. Makes a massive difference.

If you want 2 people on the call then why not conference them. If you want call recording or monitoring then there are 3rd party apps which do this though I believe most of them do it at a network level by spanning the LAN port.

I'm not aware of any legacy voice kit that does what you want (other than analogue handsets) so why would Cisco develope something that the traditional voice guys haven't bothered with?

Paul

Actually the phone code on CCM 3.2 does support multicast voice streams for XML boradcast applications. Its not about having two people on the call, its trying to get that Multi-Cast Broadcast stream over the PC speakers along with the phone so it can be heard in a load environment that needs a loud speaker but doesn't have a paging system.

-Ken