cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Softphone over VPN

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

we are doing tcp filtering on our VPN server. I need to know what ports to open up so softphone will work. I can connect to the CCM 3.3 server, and can dial out avross the VPN, but I get no audio in either direction. I have tested and configured my SOund recorder and playback devices and they are fine, but i don't get any audio of any kind out of the softphone.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Matt

14 Replies 14

dugrant
Level 4
Level 4

The voice stream is carried via UDP on a random port in the range of 16384-32768. Are these open?

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/sp_vpn.html

Hope this helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

All TCP & UDP ports are open.

all SP configs have been verified

i am using a full-duplex sound card

i have verified all sound recorder / playback devices are functioning

the headset i use works correctly.

Softphone gets NO sound what so ever when i initiate a call, dial digits, answer inbound calls, etc.

You should try turn of filtering all together and see if you can make a call.

This will eliminate this part of the network.

all filtering has been turned off.

i can make a call but i get no sound for any aspect of the call. No sound for Dialtone or ring-back, and certainly nothing being transmitted or received.

I can call my home phone using my softphone across the VPN but no voice is transmitted in either direction.

Everytime you use the softphone through VPN,change the Ip address on the softphone to the IP address as leased by the VPN session.Under settings->Audio->Network Audio Settings->click specify address and type in the Ip address that you see in your VPN session(not the PC's IP address).This should solve the problem.

Thanks

Anu

already did this too.

is there a reason SoftPhone wouldn't hook into a full-duplex soundcard? Is there a HCL for softphone?

I am experiencing the exactly same problem; done the changed for network audio specific IP, still the same...

I can hear the dial tone, once I type in the numbers the sound goes away.

The called site can hear my sound no problem, but no sound from softphone at all???

Anyone know the solution?

Frank,

I had the same problem as well. Upgradeing the firmware on my Linksys router at home solved the problem. Also make sure that IPSec is enabled.

cristianmunoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt

I have tha same problem. We put the PC into the LAN , then the SoftPhone works.But, if we put the same pc into the Internet , we can make a call and receive the ring ok but do not Rx and Tx voice.The Call Control works but the channel voice do not open.

Some suggestion?

cristianmunoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt

I have tha same problem. We put the PC into the LAN , then the SoftPhone works.But, if we put the same pc into the Internet , we can make a call and receive the ring ok but do not Rx and Tx voice.The Call Control works but the channel voice do not open.

Some suggestion?

cristianmunoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every ones

This is the ERROR message that is in the SoftPhone Trace:

ERROR Reason for failure=0x8ccc0000 (Faking a CTI Response in order to fail a Pending Asynch Request) dwRequestID=0x00010209

Regards

After I upgrade my VPN client from 3.6.4 to 4.0.3 then softphone is working.

Just FYI, not sure if it helps with your problem.

Frank

Thank you for your information. We are much better. Now the voice comunication between PC-SoftPhone (VPN) and PC-SoftPhone LAN is working (Tx and Rx). But , the voice comunication between PC-SoftPhone (VPN) and IP Phone LAN, do not works.

Question for anyone:How can i change the CODEC in the softphone?

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: