Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software VS Hardware MTP

Can anyone tell me the differance between software and hardware MTP and why you would use hardward over software?

Thanks

Andy

4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Software VS Hardware MTP

a software MTP can be configured on a callManager or other server: when on a callManager the resource supports up to 24 MTP sessions. when on another server the resource supports up to 48 MTP sessions.

with a hardware MTP, you use DSPs to define the amount of MTP resources available. a hardware MTP is physical hardware separate from the callManager. ie: router with DSPs or a 6608 gateway.

a software MTP has some limitations. if all of the MTP transcoding sessions are utilized and another connection is attempted, the call will complete without using MTP transcoding resources. if this call is using software MTP to provide services, the call would connect but attempt to use supplementary services would fail and could result in a call disconnect.

see these links for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803edac1.html#wp1040534

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed6b2.html

HI

Sorry i mean differance between software MTP and Hardware MTP on a Cisco IOS Gateway?

Thanks Allot

Andy

Blue

oh, if you mean the CCM configuration option of "cisco media termination point software" (or the likes) that you can select when configuring MTPs in CCMadmin, then this is basically the software side of the MTP service that the 'ip voice media streaming app' service utilizes.

the software-only MTP does not require DSPs to be used. rather the PCs NIC speed among other server resources determine the amount of MTPs available. with a 100MB NIC, upto 48 MTPs are possible.

the software MTP simply runs on the ccm server (or other server) to provide the services.

the MTP (software & hardware) is the bridge between the media streams between two connections that require it. (an h323 endpoint communcating with an IP phone for example)

another piece of software, the mediaResourceManager also works with MTPs by keeping track of the resources and allocating them accordingly.

the IOS enhanced software MTP can support NAT and is used to configure certain routers to be used as MTP resource providers. (with or without DSPs; depending on the configuration)

Software VS Hardware MTP

Hi GPULOS,

It would be very helpfull if you can explain the last point you have mentioned. I am deploying a scenario where NAT is happening in the network. I am stuck with how to overcome the NAT issue. I was searching the internet and have come here. So i would like to re-open the discussion. Please explain the last point which you have explained. "the IOS enhanced software MTP can support NAT and is used to configure certain routers to be used as MTP resource providers. (with or without DSPs; depending on the configuration)"

Thanks in advance.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content