Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Some doubts about LLQ

Hi Friends.

Could anyone explain me exactly when I configure a class into the router with Priority command( LLQ ), I know that if the network is not experiencing congestion, There aren´t drop packets, but In the event of congestion, policing is used to drop packets when the bandwidth is exceeded, in order to guaratee minimum and maximum band to this class.

I would like to know, if the bandwidth alocated to LLQ queue (E.g, Voice 128K) when there are no voice packets on the wire, this 128K will be used by another class, or this 128K is strictly reserved to LLQ queue, because in voice environment, any delay is not a good idea.

Tks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: Some doubts about LLQ

Just another point..you indicated that delay is not good when carrying voice traffic and that is true. This bandwidth allocated to voice traffic will be used by other classes but as soon as traffic arrives on the voice class, this voice traffic will once again take priority over the other classes. So the voice traffic will not be delayed even if you are using the available bandwidth for other classes.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

2 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

There is no real concept of actual bandwidth reservation as such when using LLQ. As per your example, if the voice class is not using the allocated 128k, other classes are free to use this up. In the event of no voice traffic at all, this is available for any other classes in proportion to their allocated bandwidths.

Paresh

Purple

Just another point..you indicated that delay is not good when carrying voice traffic and that is true. This bandwidth allocated to voice traffic will be used by other classes but as soon as traffic arrives on the voice class, this voice traffic will once again take priority over the other classes. So the voice traffic will not be delayed even if you are using the available bandwidth for other classes.

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies