Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Sounds on phone

Hi There I know it is possible to get the phone to play a sound since I had an example from somewhere but have lost these and cant find the link again. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get an example of getting the phone to play a sound.

I was also wondering if it is possible to import a sound or can the phones only play the default ones.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Green

Re: Sounds on phone

Hi Sharkie

I understand you are talking about ring tones..

To customize ring tones, include it in the TFTP folder, edit the RingList.xml file and then select it from the list displayed in the IP Phone

itself (you cannot change the ring tone for specific phones from the CCM).

Here is the detailed procedure:

1. Create a PCM file for each customized ring tone. The PCM files for the rings must meet the following requirements for proper playback on Cisco IP

Phones:

-Raw PCM (no header)

-8000 samples per second

-8 bits per sample

-uLaw compression

-Maximum ring size16080 samples

-Minimum ring size240 samples

-Number of samples in the ring is evenly divisible by 240.

-Ring starts and ends at the zero crossing.

To create PCM files for customized phone rings, you can use any standard audio editing packages that support these file format requirements.

I have found that "CoolEdit 2000" or "CoolEdit PRO" are programs that have these capabilities and seem to be the tools of choice by most people.

However, please note that Cisco does not support or recommend any specific program.

Here is a link where I have found it:

http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Music/AudioComposers/cool-edit.html

2. Place the new PCM files that you created in the

C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath directory on the Cisco TFTP server for each Cisco CallManager in your cluster.

3. Use a text editor to edit the RingList.xml file (located at C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath) just open this file using notepad so you add the ring

tone that you created. Then save your modifications and close the RingList.xml file.

4.To cache the new RingList.xml file, stop and start the TFTP service: start > programs > administrative tools > services > cisco TFTP.

After all of this you need to reboot the TFTP service, and it is advisable to reboot the CCM.

Here is a link that documents the steps for Configuring a Custom Phone Ring:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ed120.html#78823

Let me know if this answers your question...

Community Member

Re: Sounds on phone

Thanks

Im in Scotland so am home for the day but will try that tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content