cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Splitting ISDN BRI for voice and data

sgore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We have a customer that would like to use one of the B channels on a ISDN BRI for voice (hooked up to an analog phone) and we would use the other channel for data (specifically for backing up a frame relay connection). Is there a way to do this internally on a 1760V router. If it is possible to map an FXS port to one BRI channel, I believe that is the only way we could do it. TIA for any suggestions.

7 Replies 7

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

I do not think that you can mix up both Voice and Data on the same BRI interface.

Yes you can. Just have the telco provision the BRI for voice and data on both b channels.

bennypoole
Level 1
Level 1

i've seen it done but did not notice the hardware or config. in fact you could see the data rate drop when the analog went off hook

An ISDN modem or router with NT-1 and RJ-11 port will allow you to break out one B channel for voice and the other B channel for data. It's been a few years since I've worked with ISDN, so I'm not up to date on new technology for ISDN. We are moving away from ISDN.

I installed a 2600 with a bri s/t and had the telco provision both b-channels for voice/data. We used ip phones and all worked ok after nailing down the config.

pacameron
Level 4
Level 4

Currently this is not possible - to do BRI voice calls you need a BRI VIC, which do not support data, likewise to do data calls you would need a BRI WIC, which do not support voice calls.

I have done this with an 804 router. This was in the days of ISDN being a fast internet connection. We would roll the fax line into the ISDN line so that any fax calls would come into the router and go out a voice port. Bringing down the second channel of data. Once the fax was done the channel would be free again for data. Not sure that this is supported on any other platform though.

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: