cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Splitting two DS3 POPs into 10 PRI's for Voice and 45 T1's for data

daharris
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where a customer has two DS3 pops coming into his data center. He wishes to provide IP voice and data services to his tenants in multiple (up to 45 sites) sites...initially 10 sites. Initially he wants to send the voice over the WAN to his remote sites with SRST and have 10 PRI gateway circuits at the DC. I'm trying to keep cost down as usual but looking for best way to split the DS3's into multiple PRI's and T1's. I know there lots of choices...CCM in a 65xx; 7206VXR... looking for the right cjhoice of modules / PA's to scale to 45 T1's and possibly 20 PRI's.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

jdiegmueller
Level 5
Level 5

Let me reiterate what you are saying so I understand: Your customers wants to use a channelized DS3 to bring up to 28 DS1s (per circuit) with different voice/data services in to his facility in a centralized location. You require the flexibility to dole these services out to the appropriate devices, and need interface flexibility?

Perhaps a Cisco box is not a solution to your problem: I would consider an Adtran Atlas to front-end the circuit, and then peel of T1s as necessary to hand to the appropriate device. Since the Atlas is a TDM switch, it adds a pretty powerful layer of flexibility to your solution.

The 7200VXR series has decent density (20 voice T1s, I believe) but these boxes don't really fit in a CallManager solution. They would have to be H.323'd, which means they are not survivable endpoints (CCM failure means calls lots), allManager has no management or visibility of individual calls, etc. This same problem exists for the AS5000 series as well.

The CMM (not CCM, as you abbreviated it) can scale up to 18 T1s -- but this box only has native T1 interfaces. This is another compelling reason to front-end the DS3 with the Atlas, because you could peel of the T1s and hand them off to the CMM as T1s.

Your organization has a reference customer doing this now, I would recommend you do some research with your NOC: Your retail grocer WANCARE customer based out of Saint Louis has this exact same solution, although there is a WS-X6608-T1 instead of a CMM sitting behind the Atlas. They save thousands a month by eliminating all the loop charges (28 T1s @ $250/mo or whatnot adds up quick), so maybe some of these ideas could be adopted to your new customer as well.

Good luck.