Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SprintPCS calls from IP Phones

Somewhat of a strangecase, but we seem to have an issue with calling out to SprintPCS cell phones from our internal IP Phone system. It's not an area specific problem. Whenever a Sprint cell phone is called, we receive the message "The PCS telephone number you've dialed is temporarily not in service...message 692-3." This is definitely a cell message, but I have spoken to both our PRI provider (Worldcom) and SprintPCS and they both say that it's not a problem on their side. We are using CallManager 3.1(2c) and H.323 on 2621 router. Could there be anything that would cause this from the IP Telephony servers or devices?

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: SprintPCS calls from IP Phones

Do a debug isdn q931on the 2621 router and see what you are getting back from the provider when you are calling the cell phone. If we are sending the call and they are sending back some message they may not like what we are sending. If you are getting that message it does seem like the call is getting out and they don't like something.

Thank you,

-Mckee

Mckee, I checked the voice gateway and it showed that the call failed. Would you be able to elaborate on config possibilities that can be done to try and pass traffic to PCS? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

l_scott

I'm part of a rather large VOIP rollout at a major bank, and I can assure you that it is indeed a Sprint PCS problem. We've seen this very issue many times across the Southeast US, and it varies with cell areas and towers. It has never really been persistent between phone numbers and/or cell areas, and the problem is usually tied to exceptionally busy times of the day, or day of the week. We further tested with Cingular, Verizon, and others and saw fewer situations like this, but PCS seemed to be the worst during peak cell usage.

-Jeff

Thanks for the responses. Our issue seems to be similar to what you have said although for us, the PCS message comes up at all times. We've called in the middle of the night as well and received the message. I will try the debug also and see what we receive. Thanks.

l_scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.