cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SQL Error

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,<br>I have a Unity 3.0 fully unified with an Exchange 5.5 server. It has all been up and running fine untill it locked up. The system was rebooted and is working fine again. The error that came up in the Event Viewer prior to locking up was: This SQL server has been optimized for 8 concurrent queries. The limit has been exceeded by 241 queries and performance may be adversely affected.<br><br>Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.<br><br><br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Been fishing around with QA and the DB folks on this one... Here's what one of the SQL gurus had to say:

===============
How many users are on the box? What was it doing?

You'll only see that warning on MSDE systems. The concurrent query limit is MS's way of crippling the free version of the software. If more than 8 queries are running concurrently, the remaining ones are handled progessively more slowly via some sleeps. It doesn't indicate a lack of system resources.

After a reboot on a large system, the notifier will chew up a bunch of queries until it's done with its thing, could that be it?
=================

Can you charaterize your system (ports, users) and let me know if this message kicked in after Unity had come up (i.e. within 20 minutes of a restart) or something? We're looking into what component may be making lots of SQL connections that we don't know about that would be chewing these up... 241 is an awful lot of queries stacked up...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

The system has 8 cisco TAPI ports and approx 180 users.

The platform is a Dell 2400 /700 with 512MB RAM

On the day the SQL queries mounted up we also had a number of "failure on port x" errors. Since rebooting last thursday 01 November the "SQL queries are mounting up" messages have stopped appearing in the event log but we are still getting our fair share of "failure on port x" messages

The system has been stable since the reboot but needs constant monitoring to make sure.

Any advise on what caused this coul;d help us stop it happening again. I can mail you the event logs if that would help.

thanks

Jay

Not applicable

the failures on port X messages are probably not related to the SQL query issue. In fact they're probably normal MWI failures that happen on CM systems all the time (the MWI will be retried a few times to make sure it lights).

Unfortunately the only way to run the problem down is to get into your box when the system is in the state where all those queries are stacked up and looking at SQL profiler to see who's dumped them in there and work backwards. The QA folks have told me they were able to reproduce this in the lab (though they had to contort pretty hard to make it happen). Hopefully the DB guys will be able to figure out which guy is getting over-excited and piling up all the SQL requests.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

This problem is already logged as CSCdu69750. Not much info yet, but it's being looked at.