cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SQL Server 2000

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Jeff, I'm try to better utilize my customers servers by trying to follow best pratices for SQL Server. After I installed Sql 2000 I proceeded to set the sever to create any new databases and logs on sepreate drives. After I ran the Unity install I noticed that Unity created it's database in the default Sql location not where I told Sql to put the database and logs. I know this may seem trivial but my customer is a stickler for having systems like Sql set certain ways. Is there an override when installing Unity where to point its databases too. I understand from my customer that SQL will perform better if I can seprate the log files from the database files...<br><br><br>Thanks <br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

Talked to our DB guru abou this and here's his response:

===================
Yeah, this is a known issue (link below)

If UnityDb does not already exist, UnityDb gets created by the unitydb.sql script at setup1 time. Since setup has no mechanism for asking customers where to put the db files (one log file and one data file), they get dropped into the MSSqlServer directory.

There’s a workaround: create an empty database called “UnityDb” on the desired drive BEFORE running setup part 1. Unitydb.sql will respect the existing location. This is easily done with Enterprise Manager but the bit about running it before Setup1 is not entirely intuitive.

After Setup1, the only ways to move it are: a manual backup/restore operation, or (not technically moving it) creating secondary data/log files on the desired partition and setting the primary files’ max sizes to 1MB. (This can be done through Enterprise Manager ->UnityDb->Properties)

http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdv19090&show=fulltext
=============================

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I dont know how the Unity db differs from any other sql 2k db but this is quite simple in sql. in EM Right click on the database select all tasks then detach database. Then cut or copy and paste the ldf to your desired folder. then right click on the top level database folder in EM and select attach database. this will automatically detect the detached database and default to the original path for the log files and the database and if you had cut the ldf the log files will have a red x. then change the path for the log files to the folder you cut or copied the ldf to and attach again and you are done. Doing this through EM is the same as executing the scripts in QA only if sql syntax is not your thang it is less painful. I prefer to do it in QA but to sql it is the same thing. I would confirm with this forum that this will work for the Unity db but again it works. this is obviously only if you need to move the log files post install. I would confirm that this is supported by cisco but it is documented by MS. This will take you less than 2 minutes to accomplish. Obviously a full backup is recommended prior to doing anything like this .

Edited by jmessina on 5/8/02 05:34 AM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: