cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST and HSRP

mflanigan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a customer with a fairly large site (100 phones), needing a high degree of data and voice resiliency. For various reasons, they do not want to put a CCM on site. With that as a given, we have configured dual routers, each with a data connection and a PSTN connection. The intent is to use HSRP for data and SRST for voice resilience.

I have not been able to find a definite statement from Cisco or elsewhere that SRST can work if an HSRP address is used as a phone's default gateway. Can anyone confirm if that is the case, and if possible, adress any of the following questions:

1. Will phones re-register in the event of an HSRP failover when in SRST mode?

2. Can the real ethernet address be used as the SRST source address?

3. In the event of a PSTN failure (or saturation) on the active HSRP router, I assume calls can be placed over the standby router's PSTN, if suitable H323 dial peers are configured, but will the active router act as a tandem H323 node, or will it cut the call through direct to the phone and the other router?

Thanks for any light that can be shed on these questions.

2 Replies 2

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, the Phones will re-register. But never load share the phones on the routers. I guess there will be some issues if you do that.

Make all the Phones register only to HSRP address in the fallback mode.

But make sure you choose the right platform and IOS to support 100 + users in SRST mode.

The following URL should help you to choose that

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2169/products_data_sheet09186a00800888ac.html

Thanks, that is helpful information