Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SS7 Signaling

Hi Guys,

Is there any IOS version which I could use a 2600 gateway to connect to PSTN using SS7 signaling without PGW2200 solution?

Thanks,

Milton

6 Replies 6

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, you will need the protocol conversion and gateway control provided by the PGW, it's just too much work to put on a router CPU.

First of all, thanks for your fast response.

I have another question.

What about AS5400 or AS5800 with SLT integrated, do I need anything else.

Thanks,

Milton

Hi Milton,

It's been a while so I don't know if you had a response to your query but if not :

You still need the PGW (PSTN Gateway) as the SLT only

deals with the overhead of empty SS7 packets and the PGW does the actual protocol translation.

Hope this helps,

Steven Lauwers

VOIP Consultant

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Milton,

I was just going over this list and saw your question. The answer is yes if you are running a 2651XM. You could then youse the 2600 as an ITP or an STP in the telco world. Have a look here to see if this answers your question.

This is the ITP feature guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a00801afbd8.html

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I hope you will still receive this post and have chance to reply back. I'm getting confused to all the posts that I am seeing in the forum. I saw in the Dec '03 post that connecting ss7 "requires" the pgw2200. but here, you were saying no need for that if u got the 26xx. I am a begineer in ss7oIP stuff (although i worked with ss7 on switch level). Mostly i deployed isdn/r2/cas on voip using 5300/5350. right now, i am into looking at 5400 with ct3 + ss7 capability. i just need to verify with you or somebody in this forum what do i exactly need. of course, since this is the first step, i will be deploying only 1x5400 for now. my understanding was that, it has SLT interface, which can act as A or F link. which i thought is what i only need as my impression is 5400 will only need the pgw2200, when i have multiple gateways joining my ss7 cloud.

can you please shed some light on this matter?

thank you.

I can see how this can be confusing. It depensds on what you want to do. When you say you want to do SS7 and you want to use a 26XX then you have 2 choices. These choices depend on what you want to do. Are you looking just to transport SS7 messages (Not any voice) then You can use the ITP product with a 2651 min. This will act as an SS7 STP which will terminate the MTP3 messages and then route them to the next node. If you do a CCO search for ITP you will get a detailed description of the product.

If you want to take the SS7 setup message (IAM) along with the Voice traffice then you need the PGW2200 or BTS10200 solutions. The PGW solution can use the 2611 as an SLT. The SLT terminates the MTP traffice and the PGW terminates the MTP3 SS7 messages and then converts them to SCTP/ IUA or ISDN over IP. This gets it to the gateway that terminates the voice trafic from the PSTN on SS7 IMTs and then send the traffic over VoIP.

As for the AS5400, it to has the SLT functionality. Depending on how much SS7 messages and redundancy you want this may or may not be the right solution for you.

Please let me know if this has answered your questions.

Andreas