Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable version: 4.1(3)sr3 or 4.2(1)sr1

If you were going to install CCM for the first time in your company, which version would you select right now: 4.1(3)sr3a or 4.2(1)sr1?

I've been hearing that 4.2(1) is pretty stable now that sr1 is out. It sounds like it's been working pretty well.

Any thoughts?

10 REPLIES

Re: Stable version: 4.1(3)sr3 or 4.2(1)sr1

Yes, 4.2 sr1 is pretty stable but I think that is more stable 4.1.3 sr3a since it has most of the bugs, we aren't still sure of what bugs might come with 4.2. Eventhough if you are going to instal a new CCM server is better to have the latest version since it has new features and if there is a problem an ES will fix it.

HTH

//Jorge

I'm not sure I understand everything you were trying to say. If I understand you, here's what I think you're saying:

* 4.2 SR1 is fairly stable

* 4.2 SR1 is not quite as stable as 4.1(3)sr3a

* We should still go with 4.2 SR1 because of the new features

Is that about right?

I'm extremely concerned about stability. There aren't any features in 4.2 that we have to have, although it would be nice to have. I'd rather have 5.0 in order to get path-based call admission control using RSVP. However, I definitely don't think 5.0 is ready for enterprise use yet, even with the release of 5.0(2).

Thanks,

John

Yes, that's what I meant to say. If you are looking to have the most stable version then you have to choose 4.1.3 sr3a, but once again I prefer 4.2 at the end is up to you.

4.1(3) is very stable with SR3a applied.

Dont go to 4.2 if you also plan to migrate to 5.0 any time soon. (I am not saying 5.0 is very stable yet). Currently there is no migration path from 4.2 to 5.0. But there is if you stay with 4.1 train. In future there will be a migration path from 4.2 to 5.x train...(possibly end of this year)

We don't currently plan on going to the linux version until there is a stable release of 5.1 (or 6.0, whichever.)

I would *really* like to have path-based CAC, which is available in 5.0, but I don't think I'm brave enough to trust our communications to 5.0 yet. There are definitely some features that I'm hoping will be in 5.1 that would drive us to upgrade, but I think there should be an upgrade path from 4.2 to 5.1 by that time.

It may make more sense to stick with 4.1 for now but I'm being enticed by 4.2. :-)

If I remember correctly, if you install 4.2 then you will not be able to migrate to 5.x on Linux. You would only be able to go from 4.2 to 5.x on the Windows platform.

If you go with 4.1 then you can upgrade to 5.x on either OS platform.

I believe you could still upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 if there are features you need (I believe there are a couple features in 4.2 that won't be in 5.x, but then consolidated in 6.x).

Interesting. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if we go with 4.2 on Windows now, we won't be able to upgrade to a Linux version until 6.x?

That may be a good reason to stick with 4.1. However, I see that even after 4.1(3)SR3a, there are still several Severity 1 bugs in 4.1. For some reason, 4.2 isn't available in the Bug Toolkit at the moment but it doesn't appear to have any Severity 1 bugs that concern me. In fact, there are some bugs that concern me in 4.1 that are fixed in 4.2.

Decisions, decisions. I'm beginning to lean toward 4.2 and then a potential upgrade to 4.3 once it is released and becomes stable. OTOH, I'd really like to go to a Linux platform as soon as possible, and the best way to do that would be to go with 4.1.

I think I'll go sleep on it. We don't have to decide for several more days.

Yes, that's the way I understood it from Cisco: CCM 4.2 can only upgrade to Windows based 5.x, but then you can go either Windows or Linux with 6.x.

Anyone from Cisco out there that could confirm that for us?

I don't remember if Cisco said 6.x is actually on the road map yet in terms of timeline or details. Seems like another 12 to 18 months would be a decent guess. If that isn't too far out to wait for Linux maybe 4.2 would work out fine.

I'm leaning to 4.1 for now, then waiting for 5.1+. Glad I saw your note about the sev. 1 cases on 4.1 though...will check into that before pulling the trigger.

Good luck.

I have attached a presentation from cisco from the 5.0 launch that states the merger of 4.2/5.0 features, will be in 5.1 due 12-18 months from the 5.0 launch. see the attachment for more info

Also, have a look at the IPC Systems Test Release Set's

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ip_tele/gblink/ipcmtrix.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content