cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Status Monitor & Port View button

dsiwa
Level 1
Level 1

One of our Unity 3.0.3 systems were inaccessible over the weekend due to locked ports -- haven't had opportunity to upgrade server to 3.1.3 to address port locking issue.

Anyhow, I was thinking of a quick-n-dirty way of monitoring the ports... I've got a Linux box running a monitor/paging utility called BigBrother. I was thinking of creating a script which would:

- "wget url page http:\\unityserver\portview..." and save it to a file

- perform a search of that file for any "Time" values greater than 15min

- if found, send page to oncall

Would it be possible to go directly to the port view page? Bigbrother does have a NT client, we're monitoring our Exchange servers with it. I realize there are "Cisco blessed" monitoring services and utilities out there. However, I need something in the interim until I select one.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hmmm... creative work around but I don't think this'll work. The port status is not a seperate URL so you can't jump right to it without a button click on the port status at the nav bar on the top. This can be done, I suppose, but is tricky. You also have to authenticate to access the page... something else to keep in mind.

Are there any errors in the application event log for your system? There are "watch dog" errors in the event log for the MIU when a port has been in any state that's off hook for more than 60 minutes. It should continue to kick those messages in as long as the ports are in a burned state. This might not have made it in till 3.1(1) but I thought they got it in a later 3.0(x) build. If these are getting into the log this is you're best route for notification. Unity ships with a little tool to watch the event log for specific messages and can be configured to email, dialout, hit a pager etc... when one of those is hit. This might be a better route to go.

I was afraid of that...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: