Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

stiBack backup utility won't install

During the initial CallManager installation, the stiBack utility did not install. There are several files on the hard drive such as stiStart.exe, stiBack.exe, etc. but there was no stiBack service and no icons in the Program menu. I downloaded and installed the backup utility from CCO (MCSbackup-3-4-31.exe) but once the installation is finished, a message shows up saying "The stiBack service does not exist. Please install the backup package and configure this server as a backup server to perform backup." This time, however, a program group was created in the Program menu for the backup utility.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: stiBack backup utility won't install

Any luck with this ???? I'm having the same problem.

--Jon

hi there.

i do not have this problem, but i believe we can solve it together ... lets try.

at first, a little ( very short ) excurse into windows services:

- windows (nt)-services are applications (.exe ) which have a certain interface and get registered with a controlling instance ( service control manager scm ). they get a) a DISPLAY-name that gets showed at the services control-panel, and b) an internal name for the system.

- to (de-) register, a service-able-application ( i call them saa ) MAY implement the registration/de-registration functions by themselves.

- on the other hand there are utilities in the "windows resource kit", that can handle all action that can be done with services. i use "SC.EXE". if you cannot get a copy, please email me.

ok.

so far for the theory. what is missig in YOUR config, is (it think) just a registered service with the name "stiBack", so that the setup finds it and can continue upgrading.

at first we find out how the service has to be named. on my demo-equipment, the installed service is listed in the the registry under

\\hklm\Currentcontolset\Services\stiBack ( each registered service has an entry down at "Services" )

the registry says : display name: "stiBack for Cisco IP Telephony Applications", imagepath : "C:\winnt\system32\stiback.exe"

- this tells us two things : a) the display name, b) stiBack.exe is the correct program to install.

we have two possibilities :

- try to call stiBack.exe in a way so that it installs itself as a service, and we're finished. sw-developers often give saa's the parameter '-service' or '-install' to tell them to install as service.... so we try these two :

stiback -install

stiback -service

and we see : they do both not work. ( stop the service now, and kill the remaining two stiBacks with the taskmanager )

second possibility is to install it via the sc-tool. once you have copied the stiBack.exe into c:\winnt\system32 you can install it with :

C:>sc.exe create stiBack binPath= c:\winnt\system32\stiBack.exe displayName= "stiBack For Cisco IP Telephony Applications"

be sure to keep the blanks after the '=', sc needs it.

now the service should be showing in the servicecontrol-panel, and your setup should finisch.

please keep me updated,

greetings....

gerhard

Silver

Hi,

Did you tell during the installation it's gonna be your backup server? As far as i know you get this error on the backup target when trying to run the buckup utility.

marina

Views
Helpful
Replies