cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

stopping services

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I'm unable to stop Active Voice to install service pack 4 for exchange 5.5<br><br>every time I stop services, the AvCsService starts again, with the error, Gateway StopCS failed.<br><br>is there a command I can use to stop all exchange and Active voice services on my box?<br><br>thanks<br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The AvCsGateway service will start again (it's supposed to, all external access to Unity goes through this guy) but the other services should shut down. If you're getting an error shutting down one of the other services (i.e. AvCsMgr) that would be a problem.

If you're having problems with it you can go to the command line from the \CommServer directory and type "Kill av*.*". This will take everything down including the tray icon guy... it wont be getting back up after that. When you done you should restart the system.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Not applicable

I have this problem too. Tried this suggestion. I then tried to stop the System Attendant. It stated there were the dependant Exchange services that would be shutdown along with AvCsGateway and LFExgateway. I told it to go ahead, it could not shutdown the LF stuff. I then used kill lf*.* and stopped all the AV and LF services. Then retried to stop the Exchange services. Then it gives an NT error and still will not stop any of the Exchange services. Only way to stop them is to restart the machine.

So I still can't apply Exchange SP4 because it wants to stop the services before applying. I could change all the services to manual and reboot, but that's a pain and I'm not sure if it would work either.

Not applicable

I'm unsure why you're having so much trouble shutting down... I've seen the LF stuff cause problems interacting with the Unity services (who, exactly, is "misbehaving" in this scenario is a point of contention so I'll leave that one alone), especially on NT 4.0 systems. However if you kill the LF services and then kill "AV*.*" everything should be down and Exchange should stop. If NT is throwing an error at that point I'm not sure what the deal is... that's a new one.

If you get in a jam, you can set the AVCSGateway service to "disabled", Unity will not come up when you restart. I believe you will also have to set all the LF services to disabled or manual, unfortunately, and there's several of them... this is a pain, no question about it. But you'll only have to do it once...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: