cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Event Log errors and debug alerts while adding subscribers

rbird
Level 1
Level 1

I had a catastrophic failure of my domain's GC over the weekend. Jeff recommended some registry changes on the Unity server to allow access to the new GC, but when I try and add a subscriber now, I get the following event log message, and it is no longer possible to import a user:

SOURCE: AvCs_MC

EventID: 100

Exception occurred and handled in File: e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Doh2\AvDirMonGlobalCatalog\AvDSGlobalCatalog\AvIDCADIterator.cpp at Line: 66 - Error: 80004005H Call stack:

0x0042F98D AvDSGlobalCatalog.exe: <unknown symbol>

0xFEDCBA98 <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol>

0x89ABCDEF <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol>

0x77D5298F RPCRT4.DLL: RpcRevertToSelf + 858 bytes

Any ideas? We're going to try a reboot in the short term.

take care,

rob

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When does this error come up? When you hit the search button or after you've selected a user for import? It still looks like it's complaining about not being able to "talk" to the global catalog properly.

The IDC (Import Directory Connector) is the interface used by the SA import and stand alone import tool to get all the mail users in the directory (forrest root down) that are not yet tagged as subscribers. It would appear that it's choking getting this list somewhere along the line.

I'm assuming you already changed your default global catalog reference I mentioned earlier and restarted the system, right? Did the local domain controller also have problems or change for any reason? this reference will need to be updated as well if that's the case... you'll find that under the same main branch \Active Voice\Directory Connectors\DirSynchAD\1.00\Domains\(domain name)\DefaultDomainController.

My money is on the global catalog reference being incorrect or not resolving proplery (dns issue?) or something along those lines...

Jeff,

I checked the key that you mention, but it is set to the proper machine. I get this error when I click the + at the top of the screen. The smaller import window opens, and this debug message pops up. The event log entry I appended is the equivalent event log entry.

Any other ideas? At present, I cannot add users...

do you get the same behavior when using the import tool in the Unity program group? Can you add a new user via the SA (i.e. not import an existing mail user, just create a test user from scratch)?

When I try to use the import tool, I get the following error once I choose exchange server and click next:

Run time error '91'

Object variable or with block variable not set

When I try and make a new user, as soon as I click the + in the SA, the little window pops up with the errors I originally posted. I cannot create a new user, and can't import.

rbird
Level 1
Level 1

I have fixed it.

I set a new password on the Unity_Install account and changed it under services, and now it is working. I have no idea why or how it would have changed during the failure, but that is what fixed it. DCOM was giving error messages about being unable to authenticate the Unity_Install account.

thanks,

rob

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well... I'm glad you got it fixed, but that's pretty strange that just reapplying the password got around it. We'd seen this type of issue at a couple sites in the last year and have a case open with Microsoft about it, but it's been difficult to run down and can't be reproduced easily.

Here's a technet article on the issue which may have been what you saw... hard to say.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q312497