Helpful
Replies

Subscriber Name Changes

astectelecom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Unity 3.15 Stand Alone VM TSP 6.02b Ex5.5

I have a requirement to alter the names of all subscribers at a customer site (700 subscribers) to a standard naming convention ( i.e JSmith to Smithj). Since i don't fancy trawling through 700 subscribers one by one, is there a way to easily bulk edit users names?

thanks for your help.

jim

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

do you mean display names or their alias? The example you gives above looks like an alias which is a much trickier item to tackle given the uniqueness constraints both local to Unity and in the directory - if it's the display name and the rules were simple based off the first and last name fields then we can probably do something fairly easily...

Thanks for the reply jeff

I really need to change the alias. The customer has a stand alone voicemail and we need to migrate over to unified voice mail and retain their messages.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

OK - well changing the alias of all your users is trickier than it sounds since if you change the alias to something that conflicts in AD, for instance, and the back end replication fails you've basically broken that subscriber and there's no easy way to check up front if that's going to happen before changing it locally in SQL and asking for the sync.

To do what you want the only supported mechanism is to use DiRT to move those VM only users over into your UM directory and then use the Migrate Subscriber Data tool to move the subscriber information (which includes merging their messages) to the UM email accounts.

Here's a white paper with some info that may be helfpull:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/migvm_um.htm

Here's a link to the Migrate Subscriber Data home page:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MigrateSubscriberData.htm

You'll find a help file and a training video out there - especially pay attention to the rights needed for the account running the MSD tool when moving messages around.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: