cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscriber with no extension

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I imported some subscribers. Most of them went in ok. A few however imported incorrectly. When I run a search for the subscribers, The name/alias shows up, but the extension displays as: n/a <br>When you try to select the subscriber, you get a "Page cannot be displayed" error.<br><br>

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

Whic version of Unity 3.x are you running? Sounds like something got cross linked somewhere along the line... run dbWalker on that system (get the latest version off AnswerMonkey.net) and see how many handlers/uers it tags as bad or if it indicates the mail users are cross linked with their primary call handlers (bad) or if it's something else.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I am running version 3.1(2).

I ran the latest DBWalker and received errors on the subscribers with problems. Here is one of them:

Handler Alias=ch_bblazzard
Extension=(error) - Invalid Extension, required for primary call handlers
Location Object Alias=default
Handler owner alias=EAdministrator
Handler message recipient alias=EAdministrator
Handler location object alias=default

Not applicable

it probably barked some errors out on the subscribers as well... that's a primary call handler (prfix of "ch_" tells you that) which should be associated with a subscriber. In this case it's pointing to Example administrator (it's owner and recipient links) which is the default template configuration.

Something went haywire during the import of this guy and the template never got updated all the way and it left the primary handler for this guy ill formed.

Were these standing users you were importing from Exchange or new users being created from scratch via CSV?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

They were imported from Exchange

Not applicable

hmmm... well, a couple possibilities come to mind.

The container those users were in may not have rights granted to the Unity service account and we were unable to edit/write to the fields on the mail user records in AD to make them subscribers... the import would then fail (but it shouldn't fail quite so ugly). Are the users that failed in another container/domain than the ones that didn't by any chance?

A template could be in a bad state... however I'd assume all users added with that template would be hosed if that were the case. Further dbWalker should have barked about it.

Were these imported via the SA one at a time? Or was this using the import tool in the unity program group to do it in bulk? If it was via the SA did you get any error dialogs that came up (i.e. the ever-popular "an unkown error has occured..." dialog box)?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is a multiple domain environment, with several child-domains. The subscriber's that had a problem came from an existing child domain however I just imported another user from the same domain and had no problems.

I just ran the Bunny Killer, but was only able to pull up users in the parent domain that the Unity Server is a member of (Same domain that the Primary Exchange server is located). Do I have to run it on a Domain controller the child domain?

Not applicable

I didn't write BunnyKiller, I'll have to track Steve down and ask but I suspect you're right... it'll need to be on a DC in that child domain.

Sounds like running the Permissions Wizard off AnswerMonkey 3.x tools page wouldn't be a bad move for you here. You can select a default as the "root" node in each domain and rights are granted for importing users from that container and all child containers under it. It might be related to the service account not having update rights to the container in question.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Well...I tried running the bunny killer on a domain controller in the child domain and it gave me a ocx???dll error. I think it's looking for a Unity installation. I went ahead and ran the permissions wizard and received sucess for all objects (I selected all domains). I am still receiving the same problem when I try to select the user. Here's the weird part: When I try to import another user, the problem subscriber shows up in the list to select. When you try to import the subscriber again it gives a: "The alias specified matches an existing alias"

Not applicable

I went ahead and ran the Permissions Wizard for all domain. It worked successfully. Still have the problems with the bad subscribers. However when I import a subscriber in Unity, the bad subscriber is listed to import. When I do attempt to re-import the user, an error is givin: "The alias specified matches and existing alias"

Makes me think that the subscriber information is only in Unity and no directory information was added (like you said earlier). I poked around in the SQL tables and found several NULL field values for the bad subscribers.

FYI: to run the bunny killer from a child domain. Log into the Unity server as an administrator of the domain. It runs, but I don't know if it really works.

Not applicable

Actually, it wouldn't be complaining about the properies on the mail user in the directory. If those were there it wouldn't have even offered you the option of importing that user. It's likely complaining about a primary call handler that was created with the same alias (i.e. "ch_" that's conflicting. If you open the Call Handler table in the UnityDB database, look through the list of handlers and see if one matches that alias... try deleting it and attempting the import again.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com