cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscribers prompted at login to leave MSG

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

At login, all subscribers on a Unity 3.0.3 server are being prompted to leave a message for a particular subscriber. Every time they login they get the same prompt, if they cancel out, they go into their box.<br><br>Any idea what the subscriber did to request a message from every other subscriber on the system?<br><br>

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

Did any extra Unity routing rules get created?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

There are no extra routing rules created on the system. Here's the call flow...
Call comes in DID to the Opening Greeting Call Handler, which drops the caller into the Greeting of the Attendant Subscriber. Caller presses * to login, dials their UserID and Password and then gets the prompt to leave a Msg.
Any way to disable the * quick message "feature"?
I know that I could change the Routing Rules to send the caller directly to the Attendant Subscriber but it sounds like I'd have the same issue.

Not applicable

what do you mean by "attendant subscriber"? You mean you're passing control from the opening greeting to a subscriber? And then folks are signing in from that subscriber? Why?

no, currently there's no way to disable that feature...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Yes, the calls are coming in to the Opening Greeting call Handler (Blank greeting, No Caller Input, Send to Greeting for Subscriber Attendant) This is done because the DID the callers use to dial in to voicemail is not the same as the Attendant/Main business line DID, but both need to end up in the same place, at the subscriber known as Attendant.
I could change the routing rules, but callers are still going to end up at a subscriber before logging in.
A subscriber is being used in stead of a call handler for ease of "greetings management" This customer needs to remotely via phone edit their greetings often.

Not applicable

ah... gotcha. We're fixing that issue in 3.2, by the way (you can record greetings for call handlers over the phone).

I would think the best solution is to have the number that subscribers are calling to check messages route them right to the subscriber sign in covnersation. You can do this with a routing rule as long as they're dialing a different DID number already... or you can send them to a call handler instead of the opening greeting subscriber you have setup. I wouldn't think it'd be important for internal subscribers to get that same greeting, right? Or is this not correct?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

We don't want to send them directly to the sign in conversation because they have other dialing options from there. The solution we have put in place is to copy the greeting from the Subscriber box to the Call Handler manually.
Is the way call handler greetings are recorded the same as they were in the old Repartee? ie- The owner of the box "leaves a message" for it? I have not found documentation on how to do this directly through the phone and when I went through the Unity Cert class, I was told that you had to do it through the Admin page.
I didn't think it was too important that they had the same greeting for internal vs. external until they started getting complaints that callers to the Voicemail DID were getting confused by the different dialing options.
Thanks.

Not applicable

currently there's no way to record the greeting of a call handler over the phone. In the upcoming 3.2 (4.0) release of Unity there will be a way for owner's of call handlers (an owner can be a public distribution list as well) to get at the greeting record conversation for a call handler. Until then you're stuck with with SA I'm afraid.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Ah gotcha, I misread. Well that is soemthing to look forward to! Thanks again!

Not applicable

You'll get that if Unity thinks you had been in the greeting of a subscriber before signing in. In other words if you forwarded into Unity and got a subscriber's greeting and then pressed * to sign in yourself, the first thing you'll hear is the offer to leave a message for the subscriber who's greeting you just heard. This is a short-hand way to leave a sub-to-sub message instead of an unidentified message for a user.

I'm assuming this doesn't happen when they use their internal phone and dial in directly to get messages but only when they get the opening greeting (or other greeting you have configured?) and sign in using *, right? How are calls coming into the system? Any routing rules in effect? Which object is handling inbound calls from these folks before they sign in?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com