Views
Helpful
Replies

Surge protectors cut out inlinepower for IP phones

ledinhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I don't know if if this is already asked or not. Please show me if there is anyway to use surge protectors with inline-powered IP phones (or APs...)? Only voltage within +- 5VDC is allowed on the link.

Thanks in advance,

An.

2 Replies 2

gillins
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that you are talking about some sort of lightning protector for cables running out of your building in to the next. Maybe not to a different build but you need to protect the line for high voltages. the devices that I have seen that protect the line and the equipment on the other end are basically a bridge rectifer. by design they do not allow any voltage through the line so of course you power will not get through. I have never looked but you may be able to get a special one some where.

hope this helps

scott

Thanks Scott,

Maybe Cisco has to design that special kind of lightning protector to use with its inline-powered devices! Our customer need to install lightning protectors at every outlets in their office and now I am stuck with those IP phones and wireless APs... :-(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: