Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Survey: How many avoid 9 for outside dialing due to 911 calls

How many out there have moved away from using 9. and 9.1 of local and national access codes due to excessive mistaken 911 calls?

17 REPLIES

Re: Survey: How many avoid 9 for outside dialing due to 911 call

We continue to use 9 as an access code, but have removed the 911 route pattern. We require users to dial 9911 in case of emergency. Also, take a look at the following post for ways that others handle this issue.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddae489

Brandon

Did your legal department see any issue with blocking 911?

It was an implementation decision that was never questioned. I think it's a fair assumption that users in the US expect to have to dial 9 to get an outside line in a business setting.

Brandon

Our original system (IPCC and approx 450 users) was implemented with "9" for outside line access. The second cluster we deployed (just phone services, approx 100 users and growing) was configured with "8" for outside access. We plan to migrate the original installation to "8" for outbound line access once we clean up our dial plans and partitions.

We've decided not to block "911" due to liability concerns. We program 9911 and 911 for all locations on our Call Manager. For the 911 pattern, we do NOT check "urgent priority" and lowered the interdigit timeout to 5000ms. We also add a pattern 911X and block the pattern to allow for accidental dialing. So far, this method seems to be working well.

we removed 911 pattern and added and trained user base ( special sticker on each phone - in case of emergency -) to dial 9911. This reduced the call to 911.

Where did you get the 9911 stickers? Or did you have the custom printed. We have a customer who can't get users to stop dialing 911 accidentally, so we're going to move to 9911 exclusively.

Thanks,

LE

can you explain more what the 911X does and how you configured it? We seems to have the same problem with accidential 911 dialing and I have changed the 911/9911 "urgent priority" to unchecked and changed the interdigit timeout to 5000ms (T302 Timer - correct one?)

Thanks

Steve

911X basically means there will be a best match for 911 + any number, which means if someone dials 9115, instead of 9145, they will get a fast busy. It also forces the dial plan to wait for the inter digit timeout period, because there is always a possible best match beyond 911.

We wanted to stick with the most rapid 911 access possible, so urgent priority is checked and 911 is an island in the dial plan. It's instantaneous.

Your 5 second interdigit timeout would scare me a bit. 5 seconds might not seem like much, but if someone is having a heart attack it would seem like an eternity.

I agree with Ben's explanation of 911X pattern which is why we went with that method.

For us, unchecking the priority box and lowering the interdigit timeout is a balancing act. We don't want a true 911 call to take forever to dial out. The consensus was to try 5 seconds. We're open to changing it. We have close to 1000 users in five different office buildings. We had way too many 911 misdials. So far, it seems to be working. Our accidental 911 misdials have dropped to a minimal number. I can only think of two in the last several months.

I've added some screenshots to help just in case.

We stuck with 9. The solution to the 911 problem we adopted was suggested by an online post (but I forgot where - identify them and give them all the credit!)

1. Created the CTI Route Point that forwarded all 911 and 9911 calls to Voice Mail

2. On the Unity Connection we created a New System Call Handler

3. With a recorded message telling the caller they dialed 911, and asking them to please hang up if that was unintentional. After a short pause to give them time to react, we let them know we were now dialing 911

4. Finally, under Edit > Transfer Option we had it Transfer Calls To Extension 9911

We had about 1 accidental call a week to emergency authority with about 200 users, and a small international office. So we migrated to 8+ for outside dialing and kept 911 as urgent priority. 8+911 also works.

I like this solution though from the above post: "We've decided not to block "911" due to liability concerns. We program 9911 and 911 for all locations on our Call Manager. For the 911 pattern, we do NOT check "urgent priority" and lowered the interdigit timeout to 5000ms. We also add a pattern 911X and block the pattern to allow for accidental dialing. So far, this method seems to be working well."

We solved this by using an h323 gateway and configuring the inter-digit timeout to 5 seconds on the dial-peer and adding a ! to make it wait. This is the best way we found without affecting the interdigit timeout for every call in the cluster. Most people complain if they do not have enough time to dial while looking up a number.

We've stuck with 911 and 9911 both immediately going to 911. However, whenever anyone calls 911 (which we are notified about via Emergency Responder) we call to check that they are ok. This has resulted in people being more careful when dialing...

We have made the switch from 9 to 8 for outside access. We were getting 1 or 2 911 calls a day so that's why we made the decision. It took a little getting used to for everyone, but our 911 calls are hardly ever anymore. Users can still dial 911 or 9911. We then get an email from our call reporting software.

I had 250 users when we migrated to the new IPT system in 2002. I also put in 9.911 and 9.11 to provide secondary dialtone on all calls.

I also did priority routing for both.

What I found was this, about 1 errant call every other day. So my solution was to call that person back right away and ask if everything was ok, explain how they accidentally dialed 911 and when they swore up and down that they did not (which they always did) I would calmly explain how I had to look up the call in the system, gave them the time stamp and asked them to look at their call history on their phone with me.

After about 1 month, those same people stopped doing it and I never had that problem again for the remaining 2 years I was the IPT admin.

So really, a little embarrassment goes a long way. If there had been a real 911 issue while I was the admin and it was a visitor (family etc.) who did not get help due to having to wait for a 5 second timeout or not knowing how to dial 9+ or 8+....I would have felt awful. You can make excuses for how your users need training, but the reality is you need to provide emergency service for the general public. In many states the E911 laws are deciding this for you.

Don't over engineer it, just give them both options and send the call. If management complains about the cost of a service call then remind them to ask the lawyers how much a lawsuit will cost them.

then go get an alerting service like IPSession or CER so you can alert on-site personnel as well as the local authorities.

Hello,

I am going to repeat a question asked already.

1. How do we order stickers which say "dial 9911 for emergency calls"

2. we have a setup with

Created the CTI Route Point that forwarded all 911 and 9911 calls to Voice Mail

2. On the Unity Connection we created a New System Call Handler

3. With a recorded message telling the caller they dialed 911, and asking them to please hang up if that was unintentional. After a short pause to give them time to react, we let them know we were now dialing 911

the issue is,we need to know who dialed 911 and thus we have ipcelerate. For this to work correctly, we need to associate vm ports to ipcelerate user, can this be done???

Please let me know.

Thanks

Kads

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content