cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Symbol Netvision Skinny phone experience?

risilver
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone got anything (good or bad) to say about the Symbol Netvision phones running the skinny client? Apparently you have to go to a Symbol partner to even acquire the skinny client (and I'm assuming that will be for a fee).

Thanks,

Richard

4 Replies 4

gillins
Level 1
Level 1

We had them come in up a few units in are all ready work callmanager environment. they could not get them working. we had the programs and all sorts of people on the phone, sent them traces, and reconfigured part of our callmanger to try and make it work. never did. recently we needed a wireless phone solution, we got a demo of spectralink phones. they wanted us to pay them to help us set them. the docs on the spectralink are not the best but i had them up and running in a hour. I would take a look at the spectralink.

Please remember if you go with the Spectralink solution you will need a Spectralink Voice Priority (SVP) server per wireless subnet. This provides Call Admission control per access-point on the subnet and will allow roaming between APs on the same subnet. The IP address of the SVP server must be given to the phones in DHCP option 151.

Regards,

Justin

risilver
Level 1
Level 1

FYI - I did get them working via H.323. After updating to the latest code, it was a snap. I wouldn't want to have to do more than a few, as they have to be (more or less) manually setup.

The skinny code for these phones is provided by a couple of 3rd party companies. We were incorrectly informed by our vendor that we could just download the code and update the phones ourselves.

I still have some tweaking to do, as they like the access points to be set up with particular parameters for optimal performance. They work, voice quality is OK. Only issue I have now is that they drop calls randomly, and access point handoff isn't seamless.

mlebus
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 90 running SCCP on CCM 3.0.11. Using Symbol FH AP's. They work fine. Have had issues which Symbol has or is addressing. Updates/config changes can be made remotely. Skinny client does not cost extra. Can't speak for DS phones, but my gut feeling is Symbol puts more R&D into them.

Spectralink also has credible IP product, but as posted, you need their proprietary server(s). Cisco should have DS phone by Q1 2003.

Symbol phones are easier to source, so you have some price control.

If you'd like more info, please feel free to contact me.