cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sync Delay (MWI/Exchange)

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Call Manager 3.0(7)<br>Unity 2.4.5 (73)<br>Exchange Server with integration to another Exchange Server both Service Pack 4<br><br>Just in the last day or two a delay has occurred in turning the MWI on/off. Sometimes 2 minutes, have seen as long as 40 minutes. <br><br>When manipulating (deleting, listening, etc) messages from the TUI, there is also a similar delay in seeing the message updated in Outlook.<br><br><br><br>Norm Cook<br>Gibson Petroleum Company Limited

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

I'd be interested in seeing a subscriber message activity report for someone having such problems. This will show new message activity and our reaction to it (i.e. sending out MWIs/notifications etc...). This would indicate if we're sending the MWIs and they're not being acted on properly or if we're not getting notification of message state chagnes in a timely fashion or what.

The fact that the outlook clients are not updating quickly, however, is interesting... we have nothing to do with that, obviously, so that would seem to point to slowness on the Exchange side of the fence, at least for the home server in question. We are updating the messages directly in the mail store of the user, not on our box and relying on it to sync up. If the outlook client is taking a while to update that info, it could be that the server iself is pegged for some reason or another (i.e. it's busy doing a defrag or something).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Problem Solved. The sync occurred every 8 minutes on the button. I had earlier made a change to our main Exchange server (Not Unity) to allow outlook client to access it through a firewall (See Microsoft article Q155831). I accidentally set both port numbers the same. Duh. Fixed it up and the MWI works perfectly.

It doesn't work if you set these to the same value:
hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeDS\Parameters\TCP/IP port
hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\TCP/IP port

Norm Cook
Gibson Petroleum Company Limited

Not applicable

Cool... I didn't even know that was possible. I'll have to look at that article.

thanks for following up for the group.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Could you post that registry setting. Some of the users from our old system don't want to take the time to take specific action with the message and just hanging up makes it go back to being unread.

Thanks

John Bowser
Exchange Administrator - Augusta Medical Center
E-mail: jbowser@augustamed.com
office: 540-932-4715
PCS: 540-241-5569

Not applicable

OK… use with extreme caution. This is a system wide setting and will affect everyone. If someone gets cut off (i.e. a mobile phone user heads into a tunnel or something) the message they are listening to will be marked read and will appear at the end of the read message stack. If they have a lot of read messages, this can be a real pain to deal with.

Promise me you’ll be careful (and that you wont run in the house or jump on the bed and that you’ll eat all your vegetables before desert)… Head to the registry and go to the branch at:

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\ Message Playback\

The “Message Playback” branch will probably not be there, you’ll have to create it. In that folder you’ll need to create a new DWORD key named “Upon Hangup Mark Read”. Set it to “1” and it’ll do what the name implies… a restart of Unity is required before this takes effect.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Not quite working correctly. When I use the TUI to retrieve the message the MWI goes off as soon as Unity starts playing the last message. I believe this is the correct behaviour. However, as soon as I hang up, the MWI comes back on and the Messages in Exchange become marked as Unread. If I choose to save or delete the message from the TUI it works fine. If I play the messages using Viewmail or Outlook, it works fine.

Norm Cook
Gibson Petroleum Company Limited

Not applicable

This is expected behavior for the default configuration... if a user hangs up without taking specific action on a message (i.e. saving it as read, deleting it, marking it new) we mark it new. The assumption being here that you may have gotten cut off and if we mark the message as read then you'd have to call back in and hunt through your read message stack to go find the message to hear the rest of it... rather annoying.

There is a registry setting in 2.4.6 that will let you change this behavior to markign it read instead. If you opt to exercise that option, proceed with catuion... in the world of cell phones this can be risky business. If you want to do that (and you've got your trust 2.4.6 version installed) let me know and I'll post the registry setting here.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: