cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog level for troubleshooting PRI

roberts
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Customer who's PRI takes a dive every few months. By the time we get involved, the Customer has rebooted the 2620 (that is fed by the PRI) and we lose and information as to what happened. The telco denies anything is going wrong with their network so the burden of proof is lying with us.

I'd like to throw a syslog server (kiwi) into the mix but I'm unsure at what logging level to be at on the 2620 given that: A) I don't want 10 gig of syslog files to go through yet B) I'll have to log for 3-4 months at a stretch before this happens.

Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like you're in a bind. Well, if you want to syslog then you need to do some level of debugging to see what's going on, and yes, if it happens over a great deal of time then you will have a lot of syslog to go through.

I would suggest using debug isdn q921 and debug isdn q931 and set the logging trap to debugging. You might also want to turn off logging to the console and the buffer, but that's not required. It's just a precaution, not knowing how busy the router is with all their calls.

As I said, you will have a lot of data by the next time this happens. However, you should hopefully have the date and approximate time the problem happened, and you will have properly setup NTP synchronization on the router before you start syslogging, so you should have a pretty good idea of where to start troubleshooting in the logs.

I thought so. What is the impact of running the 2 debugs on router performance?

Thanks for your help and timely response.

-Robert