cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

System Admin Page

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to use the System admin page on my local Machine on the network. I am running 3.0.3 with tsp 3.0.4. I can open the short cut and the authenication screen comes up but it will not allow any user name or password to work. It lets me try 3 times then IE says I am not authorized to open this page. <br><br>How do I tell it that I am authorized to open the page?<br><br>I can get on the Unity machine and it will work fine. I do not like having to get up everytime I need to do something or look at a configuration in Unity. <br><br>Troy Dean<br>Elevating Boats LLC.<br>900 St. Bernard Pkwy<br>Braithwaite, La 70040<br>E-Mail: tdean@ebi-inc.com

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

you can configure IE to always ask for authentication when accessing internal sites like the SA, then you'll be challanged for a login, domain and PW set. you can get at this under the Tools | Internet Options in IE. Head to the security tab and choose a custom level... the option is near the bottom.

Are you coming from another domain? do you have an internal proxy server that's getting in your way?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff,

We are in the same Domain and we are not running a proxy server. I went and checked out the custom level in IE. It is set to User Authentication/Logon/Automatic Logon intranet zone.

Jeff, what does the NT account in the SA do?
Does it need to unlocked or locked for example administrator?

Thanks for the help,

Troy Dean
Assistant Network Administrator
Elevating Boats LLC.

Not applicable

I am running IE 5.5. What else do you need to know?

Troy Dean
Assistant Network Administrator
Elevating Boats LLC.

Not applicable

If you're getting challanged when you access the SA (i.e. you need to provide the login/pw/domain info) then it sounds like you have your IE configured for manual authentication already.

We use NTLM authentication which means we tell IIS that no anonymous users can access our web site. When you hit the web server it will either pass through your token from your current NT login (default) or challange you to provide another account's information. The resulting token (assuming you've provided valid NT account info) is passed to us from IIS and we use that to find your subscriber account in our database. If we find you, we check your COS to see if you have access to the SA or not. If so, you're in, if not we put up a specific error message saying your subscriber account is not authorized.

What, exactly, does the screen say when you don't get in? Is it IIS rejecting the account you're entering as invalid or is it us saying you're not a subscriber or is it us saying your subscriber account doesn't have COS rights to get to the SA?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

I have the same issue ... Unity 3.1.2 on Win2k, running Exchange 5.5, my laptop is XP ... I log into my AD domain on the laptop, but still cannot get the SA screen ... is there something in IIS that needs setting? All of the installations are default, although I've added myself and two users via Unity into the local Exchange server (full version, installed on the Unity server) ... when the server was installed, I had it join the AD using the administrator login, which is also where Unity is installed (but it is NOT a Domain Controller)... I have done nothing else, except for TSP installation and made a few changes via the IP Phone prompts for each user ... any ideas?

CCM/Unity hack
Hope to be good one day ...

Not applicable

This could be related to a gnarly bug we've been running down just recently. Can you try adding that account you're trying to log in as to the local administrators group on the Unity server as a test and see if they can get into the SA then?

We had a problem on upgrades where sometimes the log manager would be registered in a spot such that only local admins could gain access to it. In the process of loging in the SA actually ends up needing to gain access to this file and when it fails, the login fails.

There was also another bug where an ADO reference in the SA required direct SQL access (fixed in 3.1.2b). To gain access to SQL you need to be signed in as an account with local admin rights.

Worth a test if you have time.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

That did it! ... although I do not know if this is a viable solution out in the field ... since the Unity server is a member server of the AD Domain (not a Domain Controller), I added my Domain account to the local Administrator's group on the Unity box, and skipped to my workstation for the first test (tempting fate) and it popped up just fine ... if there is a fix for this (I am running 3.1.2a, not the "b" version), please let me know .. as always, I will keep reading and learning here ... thanks again!

CCM/Unity hack
Hope to be good one day ...

Not applicable

agreed it's not a good solution for most folks... we're working on it. For one of the two problems there's a real easy fix you can do yourself... for the other you need to get 3.1.2b and upgrade.

If when you log into the SA you get a screen that gives you an error about GLOBAL.ASA and something about ADO, this is the gnarly problem that requires an upgrade to 3.1.2b.

If you see a blank white page that says something like "access denied, contact your system administrator" there's an easy work around. Open a DOS box and go to \commserver\components\ and run "regsvr32 AvLogMgrSvr.DLL" at the command line. This will point us back at the right DLL and should clear the problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Actually... correction. That bug didn't get fixed in 3.1.2b, it's in 3.1.2c which was delivered to CCO today. Should be available for download in a couple days.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

ssmith222
Level 1
Level 1

Troy,

I don't know what version of IE you are running; but we had this problem with IE 6.0. When we down graded we were able to authenticate and use the sa.

Stan Smith
Boise State University

Stan Smith
Communications Engineer
Boise State University