Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silver

System Transfer w/ Unity 4.x ?

I've read in a few posts regarding transferring calls to non-subscribers that v4 was likely going to include a system transfer option that would allow an administrator to enable a 'release to switch' type transfer for any non-subscriber extension after passing the restriction table.

Is there any update on this? I've tried looking at the v4 admin guide with no luck, but I'm probably not searching on the right keywords.

If it is available, and someone could point me to the location in the manual where I might learn more that would be great.

9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: System Transfer w/ Unity 4.x ?

The "system transfer" option (i.e. the ability to transfer to any number regardless of if it has a local object associated with it or not) is not in 4.0(2) - I believe it's on deck for 4.0(4) at this point.

Currently you'll have to create a call handler for each number you want to transfer to out of the auto attendant. Or, if your switch supports it, you can have a call handler configured to just drop you to dial tone and let you go wild - although that type of thing would be ripe for folks to exploit for free long distance and the like.

Silver

Thanks Jeff. I'm not sure we're financially stable enough to provide free long distance just yet, so we will likely have to stick with the call handlers.

Two questions however:

1) when is 4.0(4) slated for release?

2) what do you think the function will be called - so I know what to look for in the release notes?

Thanks, Lelio

Cisco Employee

4.0(4) isn't scheduled at this point (we're still working on 4.0(3) slated for later this summer) so I don't have a date for that.

Internally we'll caling this the "system transfer" conversation. It'll end up being a lot like the greetings administration conversation where you can get routed to it any number of ways (one key map, after message/greeting action, off a call routing rule) - once there you have to identify yourself as a subscriber and then your restriction tables associated with your COS will dictate which numbers you're allowed to dial while in there. This way different groups of users can have different levels of access here - CEO types can call Japan, those of us in the trenches could probably go so far as to ring the mail room or something...

Silver

We'd like to be able to use this feature to allow non-subscribers to dial into our Unity auto-attendant and then reach a non-subscriber without any special steps. For example, a client calls our main number 555-1234 and wants to reach me in the lunch room at extension 222. The lunch room has no voicemail, so, for now, I have to create a call handler.

By the sounds of it, this new 'system transfer' conversation won't eliminate the need for the call handlers for non-subscribers. Especially if a user would have to identifty themselves as a subscriber first.

Silver

Jeff - have you had any time to consider my previous reply? I've added it below:

=====

We'd like to be able to use this feature to allow non-subscribers to dial into our Unity auto-attendant and then reach a non-subscriber without any special steps. For example, a client calls our main number 555-1234 and wants to reach me in the lunch room at extension 222. The lunch room has no voicemail, so, for now, I have to create a call handler.

By the sounds of it, this new 'system transfer' conversation won't eliminate the need for the call handlers for non-subscribers. Especially if a user would have to identifty themselves as a subscriber first.

=====

Cisco Employee

yes, folks will always need to identify themselves as subscribers to be able to use the system transfer feature, at least how it'll be implemented in the first drop. The primary concern is to prevent toll fraud and allowing unidentified folks to drop into "dail anything" conversations is a recipie for disaster.

any number that you want outside (unidentified) callers to be able to dial through the automated attendant will have to have a call handler or subscriber object associated with it even when system transfer arrives.

You can always just drop callers to dial tone in your switch (most PBXs support this type of thing and you can usually restrict numbers they can dial as well, although this can get messy in a hurry) - if you just want folks calling into your system to be able to dial any number (within reason) this is probably your best bet.

Silver

Thanks Jeff. I'm not too sure if we want to drop people to dial tone - or how we would integrate it with Unity - we still want them to hear our greeting.

I'll have to plan for call handlers for every station and hope that a 'system' transfer of some type in the future will handle this. I'd suspect that with some sort of restriction in place either on the call handler or the call manager, this should be doable.

Thanks again for your time.

Lelio

Cisco Employee

If you have a lot of call handlers to create you can check out the bulk handler create tool on www.CiscoUnityTools.com - it can, among other things, slurp in info from CSV files which can be handy for situations like this.

Silver

Will do - thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content