cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

testing the upgrade scenario

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

In my lab I had the following:Unity Server 2.4.6 (135) running with Exchange Server 5.5 in a Mixed-Mode Win2k Domain called unitytest.com. It is doing Unified Messaging. This is the only exchange server that we have. It is running on a Win2k server that has SP2 installed and SP4 for Exchange.<br><br>Objective:<br><br>I want to install exchange 2k in the same domain on a seperate server and upgrade unity 3.0.<br><br>What I did<br><br>I ran the export utility (before I did dbwalker...). I had 1 test user called Theo (I made sure he had a couple of voice mail and e-mails). I uninstalled unity, uninstalled exchange. Then I installed MSMQ, SQL 2000 and Unity 3.0 first part of the setup. After that I ran the second part and pointed it to the exch 2k server that was running on the other server. This went all fine.<br><br>Now I ran the import utility and the utility did not report any problems. When I dialled in from Theo's phone it did recognize him and it asked for the password. When I typed the password I got the failsafe greeting.<br><br>I dialled from another phone into the autoattendant feature and tried to leave a message for Theo. I did hear Theo's recorded name so that proved that the import utility did import Theo. I left him a message and Unity did not give me any errors. <br><br>When I looked in event viewer it said the following: No Home Server for Alias TheoT message delivered to Unaddressed<br><br>The problem was that TheoT did not have mailbox.<br><br>My question is: as I was using AD TheoT did exist before we imported the Database but it had no mail account associated with it. <br><br>Should the import have created a mailbox and dumped in there the messages and voice mails that I had when I exported the database?<br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Hi

I have done some more research and I read that the export utility will not export any exchange related info like messages, voice mails... I have only 1 remaining question: in my case why was the mailbox not created?

Not applicable

The syncher (which the import calls after it's populated SQL with all the user/handler data from the import) will do a lookup in AD for the alias. If a match is found, it'll try to bind to that user. If a match is not found it'll create a new user (and make them mail-enabled). I do not believe it can take a standing AD account and mail-enable it on the fly.

This is similiar to the Exchange 5.5 behavior. If an Exchange account exists we bind to it, but if there is an NT account with the same alias and no Exchange account, we can't create the Exchange account and bind it to the NT account on the fly. It either has to be a working Exchange user or have neither account for this to work smoothly.

The Syncher SHOULD fail that account when it goes to bind to a user with no mailbox but I think it just times out. A look at the syncher logs will tell me (the syncher doesn't report errors back to the import like this unfortunately).

Regardless, your AD users need to be mail enabled or not there at all for this to work.

Can you try just mail enabling that standing guy, wait for 10 minutes or so (for the AD Monitor to kick in) and see if that lets you in? I'm just curious if our properties are preserved over that operation or not... never tried it.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Tnx for the reply

As you have seen in my e-mail I did have exch 5.5 before the upgrade. The user Theo was already created before and did have a mail account in exchange 5.5. As we erased exchange 5.5 his mailbox was deleted. So the situation was that in my AD domain I had a user called Theo with no e-mail account.

I will get the syncher logs