cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Text to speech doesn't work

Lennin
Level 1
Level 1

The environment in which I’m working is divided on two VLANS (one for voice and other for data) that are interconnected using a router. There are 3 exchange servers running under the Data VLAN (they are under the same Exchange Domain, but in different Windows domain) and the CallManager Server is running under the Voice VLAN. <br>I’m trying to install a Unified messaging system with UNITY 3.0(4) on a Dell Server (following a baseline installation) located at Data VLAN. The installation is successful except that I can’t use the Text to Speech feature even this is enabled on the corresponding Unity section and nobody is using the ports on the network. <br><br>I have tried to solve this problem under two different scenarios:<br>- Installing UNITY on Dell server, without creating an Exchange Server taking user data form the others servers that exist on the network.<br>- Installing UNITY on Dell Server, creating an Exchange Server on this computer and adding it to the Exchange domain.<br><br>And in both cases, when the Suscriber tries to hear an e-mail message it sends the next voice message: “That e-mail cannot be played at this time, try again later”.<br><br>The most amazing is that I’ve simulated both situations on the laboratory using only one Exchange server on the same Windows and Exchange domain that I have connected the Unity server and it works.<br><br>Do you know what is wrong? Any idea?<br><br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

hmmm... normally that message gets played when you go to fire up a TTS session and you don't have any spare sessions to use. The licensing from the TTS vendors is limited by the number of simultaneous sessions so when you max out we just back out and ask you to try again later. I'm unsure when else this guy would get triggered.

Any event log error messages that pop up around the time you try this? How many TTS sessions do you have? Which TTS engine are you guys using (RealSpeak or TTS3000)?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I have two TTS sessions available, using TTS3000 engine; but this error is send to the user even if the two ports are free and is the only user on the network. And this happen to every user that tries to hear it’s e-mail messages.

Also I can tell you that I haven’t seen any event log error messages when this happen in the System.

Any other idea???

Not applicable

I'm interested in errors or warnings in the application event log specifically... anything in there of interest around this time? If not, I have no clue why this would be happening.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I have been checking the application event log and I found this error when the Suscriber tries to hear it's e-mail message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC
Event Category: Error
Event ID: 10020
Date: 6/13/2002
Time: 12:15:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: UNITY
Description:
[Thread 0x00000620] [Port 1]: IAvResMgr::AddRequestBlocking() returned [80040301]. In file h:\commsvr\Sources\AvConvSubscriber\AvConvSubMsgPlaySvr\AvSTTSSetup.cpp on line 848.

any idea about that???

This error very likely means that TTS had some trouble starting up and didn't register its resources with the system. Then, when we go to allocate a TTS resource, Unity thinks it doesn't have any and gets mad. (I know this isn't exactly clear from the text of the message, sorry about that!)

There can be multiple causes for this. You're using TTS3000, right? Can you tell me what's under the key:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\TTS\Initalization\Default Speakers\

Assuming you're using US English, there will be a string called "ENU" with a value of either "Michael" or "FEMALE". (Let me know if you're using more than just US English and there are different values.)

If that key says "FEMALE", you want to change it to "Michael" and restart to start using TTS3000.

(This is Unity 3.0, right? So you have to restart all of Unity to restart TTS. If you're using Unity 3.1 you can just restart the AvTtsSvr service and leave Unity running.)

Let me know how this goes and I'll either give you more troubleshooting steps or explain why this was the problem.

Michael Kale, mkale@cisco.com

mmm… I'm using TTS3000 with Unity 3.0(4), and checking under the key:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\TTS\Initalization\Default Speakers\

There was nothing there….there was just the default string, but wasn’t assigned; also I couldn't find the string ENU or any other.

And let you know that the language I’m using for the TTS and all Unity services is Spanish (Colombia).

Any idea about that??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: