Views
Helpful
Replies

The "redial" debate

Victoria99
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I am a new administrator for a Cisco phone system that is being deployed. Currently, we have two issues which I am dying to be the one who fixes them since I am pretty sure this is an easy fix. I've searched through the forms, and see some answers but I still have a question or two:

Users get "your call cannot e completed as dialed" when using missed calls redial because of course, when you do this, it isn't adding the 9 or in cases of long distance, 9+1. Only a few people are allowed to make international so I am not so worried about that. For some reason, I don't think that creating a dial pattern is the answer- there must be an easier way or "switch" that says "Hey... if this is a 10 digit call, I must add a "9 +1", if this a 7 digit call, I must add a "9".

Now I did see something like "application dial rules" in CM where you seem to be able to set parameters. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? There has got to be a simple way of doing this without affecting the whole system or making up patterns.

Thank you in advance!

13 Replies 13

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use Application Dial Rules (Route Plan -> Application Dial Rules) to prefix 7 digit numbers with a 9 and 10 digit numbers with 91. I think this would be the simplest way, but it is system wide. You could also use Translation Patterns which would allow you to limit the use of this feature to devices with a certain Calling Search Space. This option would require more configuration as you would have to add Calling Search Spaces and Partitions for each location that you have as the Translation Patterns for different locations would need to hit different Route Patterns and Gateways. The benefit would need to greatly outweigh the increased configuration and administration. Again, the simplest, cleanest way would be to use Dial Rules.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Sascha Monteiro
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

What protocol do you run on your gateway?

MGCP or H323?

If it is MGCP, you can prefix i.e. 91 for subscriber numbers and 90011 for international numbers through CallManager service parameters (advanced)

If it is H323 you can prefix this with voice tranlation rules on your gateway.

frazier24
Level 1
Level 1

This is an easy fix.. if the GW is configured for MGCP and a PRI..

Go into CCMAdmin.. Service>Service Parameters

Then select the Publishers IP, and then the CallManager Service

Hit the Advance Button

Scroll all the way down to the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - PRI and MGCP Gateway)

At the bottom of the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - PRI and MGCP Gateway), you'll find the area where you can set the National Number Prefix to 91 and the Subscriber Number Prefix to 9.

This will allow for all inbound calls to prefix 91 or 9, depending on the type of inbound call.

HTH,

Lee

Hi Lee,

So, I'm using CM 4.1(3)sr1. This parameter was set and when I call my extension on my IP Communicator I see the 91 prefixed on the CLID.

BUT, when I go to Missed calls, it displays the extension of the Unity port that made the transfer. Bug? Is there another setting that needs to be set?

--Jon

webberr
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried the "National Number Prefix" solution and that does seem to work. The thing I don't like about this is it prefixes the '91' on the caller ID when every call comes into the phone. This is a nuisance - has anyone found a way around this?

Also, I tried the Application Dial Rules. I configured a rule that looks for 10 digits, removes none and adds a 91 in front. This doesn't seem to work. Do I have to "apply" the rule anywhere, or should it work once the rule is created?

Thanks - Rob.

You will need to stop and start the Cisco Tomcat service for the rule to take effect.

Brandon

webberr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did start and stop Tomcat (even rebooted the Publisher - its a lab box). The Application Dial Rules still do not work.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I am wondering if the Application Dial Rules only apply to applications (such as WebDialer and IPMA) or if they apply to EVERY dialed string?

Thanks - Rob.

You are correct. Application Dial Rules are only used by IPMA and WebDialer.

The only way to partially resolve this is by using translation patterns. The problem with that is only 10 digit numbers will work without waiting for the inter-digit timeout if dialing individual digits from a phone. If you press the "Dial" softkey from your Missed Calls Directory it will work fine because that sends all 7 digits at once with an end of string indicator.

Example:

You set up translation pattern of [2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX to prefix a 91 and a second translation pattern of [2-9]XXXXXX to prefix just a 9.

[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX prefix 91

[2-9]XXXXXX prefix 9

When someone dials a 7 digit number it has a potential match for both translation patterns and will wait for the inter-digit timeout before acting. It will then work by just prefixing a 9 to a 7 digit number, it just won't do it immediately when dialing the individual numbers from an IP Phone.

Even if you create specific translation patterns for all local prefixes for 7 digit local dialing, that wouldn't solve the inter-digit timeout problem because there is still a potential match to the 10 digit pattern.

Dave

Important safety tip. I forgot to mention that all calls made from an IP phone that are less than 10 digits will have the inter-digit timeout issue, even 911.

Dave

clagos
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately this is an underlying fundamental problem with CallManager. I would not suggest implementing translations to fix this problem as it imposes to many other compromises.

cmatney
Level 1
Level 1

Under Service Parameters | Callmanager set your National Number Prefix to prepend the digits you need. Normally this is a 91. All incoming missed calls will then be able to Dial without editing.

Hi,

I think this does work, but I believe it places the "91" in front of the caller ID that is displayed on the phone (so instead of seeing 2125551212, the user sees 912125551212).

This is a bit annoying - any ideas on how to get around this?

Rob.

Try this,

Go to Route Plan | Translation Pattern.

You should have a Inbound Translation Pattern. Select it and on the field Calling Party Transformations type your prefix.

Hope it helps.