Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Third-Party Fax Integration Features?

You know, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the fax integrations out there. What I mean to ask is, what does the fax integration give you? How does it work? From the TUI you are notified of new fax messages, but what other options do you have? I assume that you can selectively forward faxes or email to a fax number. I also assume that the TTS engine will read you the fax header. What other good stuff is in there? Am I way off base here?<br><br>--<br>Jeremy Williams, Systems Engineer<br>Professional Network Services

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Third-Party Fax Integration Features?

The 3rd party fax strategy is pretty straight forward. Just about any fax server that has an Exchange gateway (which is most of them) will work with Unity. We’ve tested RightFax, Fax Sr., Faxination, FaxSys, LightningFax, Top Hat, and some new ones from BNS and others along the way.

The mechanism for this to work is simple. It’s up to the fax server in question to route the inbound faxes to the appropriate email box. This is typically done using DID from the CO or analog DTMF from the local PBX (i.e. using phantom extensions for the user’s fax line that forward to the analog fax ports and pulse down DTMF identifying it as a fax for that user).

Once in the inbox itself, we recognize it as a fax based on it’s message class. The message classes we associate with faxes are adjustable in the registry, but we ship out of the box with support for the top 5 or 6 systems out there at the moment. If you have a different fax server that uses a different message class, it’s simply a matter of adding it to this key.

Outbound messages can be sent over the phone so long as the fax server supports the “[FAX:Name@deliveryNumber]” format which most of the fax servers out there do. This allows us to deliver faxes as well as emails. We strip of most attachments when forwarding an email since many fax servers choke pretty bad on .EXE, .DLL etc… we list the names of the attachments that are removed so the recipient knows they were there and they just didn’t get them. The extensions allowed through are adjustable in the registry as well.

Your feature rundown looks like this: Notification of faxes (pager, email, phone call), Delivery of faxes from the phone interface and Delivery of email as fax from over the phone (including attachments supported by the fax server in question).

There is no support for OCR (i.e. we can’t read the cover page to you over the phone). Not sure if that’s what you were getting at with the “header information” there.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Anonymous
N/A

Thanks Jeff,

That sounds like most of what I wanted. I suppose the other thing I was looking for is how you differentiate faxes. What I was talking about was not OCR, but that fax header line at the top of every fax page that tells you the calling fax number, called fax number, and the company name that sends the fax.

--
Jeremy Williams, Systems Engineer
Professional Network Services

Anonymous
N/A

We don't get the header information in the message (i.e. there's no standard way to cart that around in the message body used by all fax servers). Some of them stick the sending # in the subject and we will TTS that to you, but beyond that there's no real support for getting at the "top line" info for faxes in your inbox.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content