cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thoughts about redundancy with MCS-7825's

Tom Dillon
Level 4
Level 4

I have small site, about 80 people, that I will be installing VoIP for their voice service. I am planning to use a pair of MCS-7825's, but I am concerned about their lack of redundancy: single power supply and single hard drive. My concern is if the Publisher fails and how I am going to recover without an outage.

Are the 7825's intended for production? or are they designed for pilots and test labs?

Also, is it cool to have one MCS-7835 and one MCS-7825 in a cluster?

Thanks,

Tom Dillon.

3 Replies 3

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, it's cool to have one of each in a cluster.

If the publisher fails then if you have setup your CallManager Group for redundancy then during the downtime, everything should be homed to the subscriber and working normally, without the ability to make changes to the CallManager.

As far as redundancy, you are correct that it is not as hardware-redundant as the MCS-7835. The expectation is that you will use the MCS Backup utility that gets installed when you install CallManager, schedule the backups, and in the case of the MCS-7825 server, save the .tar files to another computer on the network.

In the event that you have to replace the publisher, you would need to build the replacement machine from scratch with the same exact name and IP address as the original, copy the latest .tar file to it, then do an MCS Restore. Voila.

kennethh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi wassup

We are using 2 MCS 7535s, both have 2 harddrives with RAID function and dual power supply. So its better use 2 MCS-7835 in case one of harddrives dead.

Dont need to bother reinstall data to publisher.

If the publisher dead, just use backup file (in tape drive) reinstall in MCS again. There is step in manual when u buy MCS server.

Ken

Just hanging with VoIP,

The current site I am working on will have 2 MCS-7835's. This new site will not have much more than 80 phones. I looked at the 7750, but it's still too earlier to deploy it. So I was thinking about saving the customer a few bucks and going with dual 7825's. Plus rack space will be at a premium and two 7825's will fit just right.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: