cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thoughts on Automatic Windows Updates for Call Manager 4.0???

clebarron
Level 1
Level 1

Is it recommended to use Automatic Windows updates on Call Managers Servers? We know you cannot do that with Unity.

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO. The CallManager OS is not standard w2k server. You can only install Cisco approved patches. SPs. For example the latest released SP is 2.7sr8.

Chris

Cisco OS patches are re-packaged Microsoft updates. Cisco tests Microsoft updates to make sure CM compatibility. Even though using Microsft updates works OK it is not supported by Cisco. So please use Cisco OS patches.

Thank you, after posting remark did some more investigating and found the site for such approved patches.

As described above, don't do it. From what I understand, some / most of the windows updates should work. What won't work are big changes like a service pack. That will hose your CCM (or Unity.) Not worth it. And there is no way to know which patch will work and which one will hose your system.

Security agent will (should--ok, has been) good at denying bad things from getting through. So If you can't get to performing a set of patches, you should be relatively "Safe".

As for the OS being non-standard or whatever, it's just a "locked down" version of windows. Local Policy changes, maybe a couple programs deleted, services stopped, etc. You can't uninstall much from a Windows Install without MS doing it for you and they aren't going to do it for you.

I hear there is a third-party (non IPT related) appliance that has a stripped down Windows 2003 that Microsoft created special for them. I don't have the details on what was left out.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unity 4.x can use windows automatic update (WAU)

please see Support Policy for Windows Automatic Update http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_device_support_table09186a0080531aab.html#wp64185

Configure WAU only to check for updates, not to install updates.

Microsoft service packs must be qualified for use with Cisco Unity and the Bridge, and WAU does not let you distinguish between service packs and other updates.