Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Time-Based Voicemail

I'm having trouble with something I think should be basic :

I need 80 of our 180 subscribers who use our Unity system for voicemail to only have their voicemail active outside normal working hours.

In other words, If you phone these people between the hours of 5pm till 9am the next morning, you'll get their voicemail (CFB and CFNA will be set to voicemail for these users). However, if you phone these people between 9am and 5pm, you'll be forwarded to a hunt group of 5 secretaries who will take the call instead of the opening greeting.

And yet, despite creating a call handler called OutHours and setting it to transfer the call to an extension according to a specific schedule, Unity simply responds with "If you'd like to try an extension, you may do so now".

What am I missing? I don't want Unity to say anything - just transfer the call to an extension, then release the call.

Needless to say, my Unity experience is limited. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tech Info :

Unity 3.1 (Build 3.1.5)

Call Manager 3.3.3 (SR1)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Time-Based Voicemail

If unity receives the call and transfers out to an extension, it will always give the system message "please wait while I transfer your call" while doing the transfer. There's no supported way of removing this besides having the call not forward to unity in the first place. As far as the actual greeting you're getting ('if you'd like to try an extension...') that's typically because you're not matching the right call handler. You need to make sure (pull up the CallViewer application from the start->program-unity) and see what the call is coming in with. Then you can use the call routing rules in unity to send it to the appropriate call handler. If you want to look at that further, check out the Audiotext Applications in Unity document from http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Documents.htm or post a followup.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

first question is what extension you've assigned to the call handlers here... in other words how are calls routing into Unity during these hours expected to go through the call handlers you've created as opposed to forwarding to the subscriber's mailbox? If the caller forwards from extension 1000 Unity is going to look up 1000 in the database and there can be only one object (presumably their subscriber account) and we'll send them to the user's greeting.

We need to clear up your call routing pattern here first before we can do much else since it sounds like calls are being bounced to the "say goodbye" call handler there based on your description.

If calls are being FORWARDED into Unity and hitting these call handlers right away, we will over ride the transfer rule automatically and send the call directly to the active greeting - we're supposed to do this to avoid potential transfer "loops" where we send a call to an extension that forwards back to us right away (we don't want to send the call to that extension again, for instance, since we'll get in a tight loop and take both us and likely the switch down into the dirt). There's ways around this if that's what you're doing.

second, how do you have your call handlers configured? Make sure you don't have the alternate contact rule turned on for instance... folks stumble on this often because they'll edit the standard transfer rule and then wonder why it's not having any effect - the alternat rule will over ride it if it's active.

Cisco Employee

If unity receives the call and transfers out to an extension, it will always give the system message "please wait while I transfer your call" while doing the transfer. There's no supported way of removing this besides having the call not forward to unity in the first place. As far as the actual greeting you're getting ('if you'd like to try an extension...') that's typically because you're not matching the right call handler. You need to make sure (pull up the CallViewer application from the start->program-unity) and see what the call is coming in with. Then you can use the call routing rules in unity to send it to the appropriate call handler. If you want to look at that further, check out the Audiotext Applications in Unity document from http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Documents.htm or post a followup.

I think I've been hit by the oldest trick in the book here. The Audiotext Applications article you referred me to put me onto the fact that a given call handler had three states. I was working on the "standard" state, but for some reason, the default behaviour for a new handler enables both the "alternative" and "Closed" states also.

After I switched those states off, my call transferred as expected.

And yes, I do get "please wait while I try to transfer you", but this isn't a problem. I saw a post about replacing this prompt with three seconds of silence if you want rid of it, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content