cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TIP: using softphone via DE30 gateway

avanderzanden
Level 1
Level 1

This not a question more a tip for those who run into this, since I bounced my head on it for a while;

When you try to call external parties via your DE30+ gateway keep in mind it only supports G711 and G723 voice codec, I had my region set to G729 so only got one ring and the call was dropped...

Time to install my E1 card in the 3600.

Aad

3 Replies 3

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also note that if you have a requirement to use G.729 on the SoftPhone clients, you can utilize a transcoding resource to run G.729 to the SoftPhone and G.711 to the DE-30+ gateway.

But then again, if you have a transcoding resource such as the WS-X6608-E1, then you probably have a port available to use as an E1 and would not need the DE-30+ card.

Also you can use an IOS voice gateway to run G.729

tsaxelin
Level 1
Level 1

Is this really the case? http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/digade30.htm leads one to believe that DE-30+ can also do G.729. I haven't tested it, though, so I'm afraid I'll have to trust Aad more then CCO.

Yes, it's really the case. The DSPs are probably capable of running one of the G.729 codec variants, however this has never been implemented and I know of no plans to do so.